Recommendations for Thailand trip by someone interested in textile artists and vendors?

My mother is spending a few weeks traveling around Thailand, partly with a group of fellow weavers, spinners, dyers and knitters and partly on her own. She's very interested in textiles and wants to visit Thai textile artists and vendors. I've suggested that she shop in Chiang Mai, where she will be for a few days, and the villages in that area, but Chiang Mai and Chatuchak Market in Bangkok are the extent of my Thai knowledge. Does anyone here have more specific recommendations for her trip?
posted by luriete to Travel & Transportation around Thailand (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

The night market in Luang Prabang is well worth a visit.
posted by the cuban at 3:50 PM on April 30, 2004

There will be drivers for hire at the larger hotels, they speak English, and all she has to do is let them know what she is looking for. They will do the rest. (In Chiang Mai, anyhow. )

And do tell her to try a tuk-tuk ride while she is there.
posted by konolia at 4:46 PM on April 30, 2004

There's was a good co-operative weaving etc factory in Chiang Rai (near the entrance to moo baan farm) 5 years ago when I was there. Not worth making a specific trip for, but combining it with a longtail boat trip from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai on the river Kok might be nice.
posted by Pericles at 2:10 AM on May 1, 2004

« Older Going to Paris   |   Help me understand why people write blogs and... Newer »