Good quality webcams that will run on an older laptop?

So I’ve built my Construction Cam but I’m less than happy with the quality of the Logitech Quickcam 4000 I’m using. What are my low-cost options for taking good quality outdoor pictures from an old Laptop with USB 1.1 running Ubuntu 7.4?

Some follow-up on my other thread: The contractor gave me permission to tie into the temporary electrical service at the site so I’ve solved the power problem. I built a weatherproof housing for the laptop out of a large Rubbermaid bin, with some 4” PVC pipe sticking out of each side for vents. I have a cheap Wal-Mart fan to circulate the air. A hose containing the USB cable runs from this container to the camera housing, which is made from a waterproof flashlight. The camera is mounted on a home-built tripod. It’s all rather impressive, if I do say so myself.

It all works well and it’s survived for almost a week so far. However, I’m not happy with the results I’m getting from the Quickcam.

What are my options? I have an old Olympus digital camera but it doesn’t seem to work as a webcam. Are there any old digitals I can get from eBay that might work this way? Any higher quality webcams? I saw this thread but it didn’t help much.

It doesn't have to be high-def, just clear enough to see some detail and deal with the changing light conditions throughout the day.

I don’t think TV capture is an option as it’s an old laptop. I also want to keep costs down as much as possible.

Current setup is USB 1.1, Ubuntu 7.4, I’m using Camorama to capture pictures every ten minutes. I’m a bit of a noob with Linux so I really have no idea what sort of drivers are running the webcam.
posted by bondcliff to Computers & Internet (2 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Dude - you need motion! I have it running at home and have used both a webcam and an ATI TV Wonder with an old (really old) camcorder. The webcam doesn't do much during the daytime, but the camcorder does. I don't know which webcams can handle the daytime exposure, but I wish I could find one too.

Just for fun, here's a motion capture from a storm I did with my setup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOwXbGSPDVU
posted by cdmwebs at 8:24 AM on August 10, 2007

If you're only taking picutres once every 10 minutes, you don't need a webcam. That Olympus camera would do great; you just need a way to fire a shot off every 10 minutes. That would require some hardware hacking if the camera can't be controlled over USB like DSLRs can, though.
posted by marionnette en chaussette at 9:05 AM on August 10, 2007

« Older Those black traffic cables   |   In a jam about what recipe to use! Newer »