Alas poor Ipod

I got my ipod in 2005 refurbished from mac mall. It's a 20 gig model. It has worked perfectly until today. I got this little icon and I managed to get it to disk mode. When I got it in disk mode and tried to restore it with Itunes (latest version) I got error 1418. Is it basically gone? Is it worth getting fixed? It's past warranty.

I'm annoyed that I lost all my music on it but I am more interested in knowing if my ipod will still work from now on or will it crap out in the near future. I don't want to shell out another few hundred bucks for a new one if I can save this one, even if they are nicer.

I've read up on error 1418 and I just want to say that my ipod broke on its own, not through Itunes. I use anapod explorer to upload music and I only got Itunes to restore the ipod firmware.
posted by clockworkjoe to Computers & Internet (5 answers total)

Do not dismay, first try this. Open, Fold business card in half, place on blue sponge, close. Voila! Your music is probably still there.
posted by Eringatang at 12:16 PM on August 9, 2007 [1 favorite]

and if that doesn't work it's likely your hard drive has bit the dust. you could probably replace it for about $70-100 and be good to go again.
posted by noloveforned at 12:17 PM on August 9, 2007

(or about $50-60 via ebay, searching part number MK2006GAL)
posted by noloveforned at 12:28 PM on August 9, 2007

You could sent your unit to TechRestore, who could not only inspect the problem for you, but could install a new, larger capacity hard drive.
posted by Smart Dalek at 1:11 PM on August 9, 2007 [1 favorite]

For what it's worth, here's a bunch of photos showing my experience with opening up an iPod and replacing the hard drive. Turned out good as new ...
posted by woodblock100 at 6:48 AM on August 10, 2007

« Older Ahhh, now thats refreshing!   |   Nice bag Newer »