Who Built This Rainy Tin Shack?

In 3rd or 4th grade ('86 or 87') my school took us on a field trip to M.O.C.A. (in Los Angeles). I was permanently affected by a particular piece which involved a small tin shack, filled with random, dillapidated objects and the sound of rain (or actual water) hitting the tin roof. I can't figure out who created this great murky relic of my childhood. I'm about to include a related idea in a project I'm working on, and I want to know who I'm referencing.
posted by thegreatfleecircus to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I would try calling MOCA and asking whether that piece is part of their collection of if they could help you identify it from a past exhibition.
posted by sulaine at 10:06 AM on August 7, 2007

Could it have been Michael McMillen's "Central Meridian, The Garage" at LACMA? (Or maybe it was visiting MOCA?)

Your description took me back to the first time I wandered into this strange and fascinating piece, also in childhood.
posted by dontoine at 10:12 AM on August 7, 2007

Just conceivably Ed Kienholz.
posted by londongeezer at 10:37 AM on August 7, 2007

Best answer: via dontoine's link, is it McMillen's"Pavilion of Rain"?
posted by Pastabagel at 10:42 AM on August 7, 2007

No help here, but I remember that piece and it had a big effect on me, too. I hope you/we can find it!
posted by piers at 5:24 PM on August 7, 2007

Response by poster: Thanks, both of you. I am positive it was "Pavilion of Rain." That is one long-standing mystery solved!
posted by thegreatfleecircus at 7:58 AM on August 8, 2007

« Older Not your art teacher's kind of drawing   |   Pennies from heaven, or unwanted garbage? Newer »