Rock You Like a Fully Orchestrated, Symphonic Hurricane ...

I'm seeking examples of a full orchestra backing up singers (not necessarily the original ones) doing famous non-classical (pop, rock, etc.) songs traditionally known without that orchestration. For example, "Hurricane 2000," or Symphonic Music of the Rolling Stones — although ideally responses would be publicly accessible links (i.e. Google Video, YouTube, etc.), it's not altogether necessary.
posted by WCityMike to Media & Arts (17 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I believe the entire album S&M from Metallica was recorded with a backing orchestra.

Three of their famous songs from S&M Fuel, Enter Sandman, Master of Puppets.
posted by jourman2 at 9:10 PM on July 30, 2007

I don't know how much help this will be, but there's a famous Fleetwood Mac song "Don't Stop" that they did during a show with a full brass section of at least a hundred musicians. Pretty impressive to watch.
posted by alon at 9:23 PM on July 30, 2007

Although I get a feeling that there were two songs on that DVD that they did with the marching band and I think Don't Stop was the less impressive of the two... can't remember the other one though! Sorry!
posted by alon at 9:26 PM on July 30, 2007

KISS did several songs with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra... There are several videos available on YouTube.
posted by amyms at 9:28 PM on July 30, 2007

I found it! The song is called Tusk.
posted by alon at 9:30 PM on July 30, 2007

This may be completely not what you're looking for, but this one guy (or group?) did string quartet tributes to a bunch of bands.

So far, I've heard Linkin Park, U2, and Coldplay (which is my favorite).

There are no lyrics, but I've always thought it'd be cool if somebody mashed them up.
posted by carpyful at 10:16 PM on July 30, 2007

Ronnie James Dio & Deep Purple - Love is All
posted by tellurian at 12:33 AM on July 31, 2007

Eels have released live albums from their 2000 Orchestra and 2005 Eels with Strings tours. Both are excellent.
posted by JonB at 2:25 AM on July 31, 2007

Collective Soul did a 2-disc album (Home) with the Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra. Some of the songs are the band's big hits, which might qualify as at least semi-famous.
posted by Godbert at 5:58 AM on July 31, 2007

12 girls band
posted by billtron at 6:05 AM on July 31, 2007

This is less helpful than it could be if I had dedicated more time to the search, but have you looked at the websites for the Boston Pops and other similar orchestras? Especially during summer concert series they tend to do at least one accessible 'pop' concert.
posted by B-squared at 6:40 AM on July 31, 2007

This sort of thing is exactly what the Boston Pops does. All members of the Pops are also members of the Boston Symphony Orchestra; the Pops gives them something to do in the off-season.
posted by Kirth Gerson at 6:56 AM on July 31, 2007

Portishead did a live concert in NYC with a full orchestra and it sounds amazing.
posted by Nathanial Hörnblowér at 7:04 AM on July 31, 2007

The Decemberists just did this with a few orchestras.
posted by asuprenant at 8:03 AM on July 31, 2007

What about the Kansas album Always Never the Same with the London Symphony Orchestra?
posted by gueneverey at 4:18 PM on July 31, 2007

Seems like a lot of people are reading the question as, "Rock acts backed by orchestras?" where it looks to me like, "Orchestras backing singers on covers of rock songs?"

If it really is the former, then Days of Future Passed by the Moody Blues is the original, and still one of the best.
posted by Kirth Gerson at 3:39 AM on August 1, 2007

Take a look the French & Saunders' symphonic opera version (with Sarah Walker) of Kylie Minogue's "I should be so lucky". Although it's comedy, I like it better than the original and it fits all your criteria perfectly.
posted by lioness at 4:53 PM on August 10, 2007

« Older Gooey ice cream?   |   Reducing "Umms" in Every Day Conversations. Newer »