Sappy sentiments welcome

Looking for suggestions for a message to put on party favor sand bottles.

The wife and I were married in Sri Lanka back in December, and now we're throwing a party for friends and family here in the States.

As a party favor, we're planning on giving some sand from the beach where we had the ceremony in little bottles labeled with our names and the wedding date and the location of the ceremony. We'd also like to hang a tag on them with a message to the effect of "we're sorry you couldn't be there with us, so we brought a little bit of the wedding back to you" (yeah, I know it's bad). So far we haven't come up with a way to phrase it that we both like. It needs to be fairly succinct as the tags aren't large.

Anyone have any ideas?

My apologies if this is ChatFilter.
posted by JaredSeth to Grab Bag (5 answers total)

How about just a nice quote such as: “And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand, They danced by the light of the moon, The moon, The moon. They danced by the light of the moon.” (Edward Lear) and then at the end of the quote a simple mention: The sand contained herein is from the beach on Sri Lanka.

I found that quote just googling "sand quotes." There are as many quotes about sand as there are grains of sand . . .

Also, the tags may not be large, but mess around with font and size and you'll be surprised how much you can fit on a tag.
posted by Sassyfras at 12:46 PM on July 29, 2007 [1 favorite]

A little photo of you both on the beach in your wedding garb tied to the bottle would do the job for me - is anyone at the wedding going to not know you by sight? Perhaps less is more. Moo prints little card thingies that might work.
posted by mdonley at 1:03 PM on July 29, 2007

"we're sorry you couldn't be there with us, so we brought a little bit of the wedding back to you"

(yeah, I know it's bad).

It's NOT bad. It's perfect. If that's what you want to say, say it. Many people toss out their first effort, thinking they couldn't possibly get it right the first time. But more often than not, they do.

If you still hate it. My only other suggestion would be to make it funny.

"Help, I'm trapped in Sri Lanka at JaredSeth's wedding. They're about to cut the cake and we have run out of champagne. Last known coordinates are 32 degrees west..."
posted by Cool Papa Bell at 1:23 PM on July 29, 2007

Thanks sassyfrass, I hadn't read The Owl and the Pussy-Cat in years. I knew those lines rang a bell.

I love CPB's suggestion. If I had any idea how to do it, I'd make them look like little telegrams. My wife gave me the look though so we'll just keep trying.

Oh and our invitations were a photo like you describe, mdonley.

posted by JaredSeth at 2:40 PM on July 29, 2007

.
posted by MonkeySaltedNuts at 9:38 PM on July 29, 2007

« Older name of guitar solo   |   The Fan of Death Newer »