thrill seeking

I need a new, semi-dangerous hobby

I am looking for a new hobby- I already fly small craft, SCUBA, and have been skydiving. Caving has been suggested, as has mountaineering. (claustrophobia, and fear of heights.) What other options would be good? If I can do them in south-central USA, even better. And yes, someone has already suggested playing with snakes. NOT going to happen
posted by Jacen to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (42 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Investing in the Scottsdale or Phoenix residential real estate markets?

Barring that, spleunking does sound rather fun.
posted by Asparagirl at 8:34 PM on July 28, 2007 [1 favorite]

Hang-gliding might be up your alley.
posted by infinitywaltz at 8:34 PM on July 28, 2007

Rugby! It is a great game, and I think a contact sport with no padding qualifies as semi-dangerous.
posted by Loto at 8:35 PM on July 28, 2007 [1 favorite]

Texas Rugby Union
posted by Loto at 8:40 PM on July 28, 2007 [1 favorite]

It's expensive, but how about racing? Learning how to drive stupidly fast is fun!
posted by snickerdoodle at 8:41 PM on July 28, 2007

Endurance riding (horseback riding).
posted by Sassyfras at 8:42 PM on July 28, 2007

Where in the south-central US? The South features a lot of amazing whitewater, so why not whitewater kayak, canoe, or raft?
posted by Mercaptan at 8:47 PM on July 28, 2007

Alligator wrestling
posted by caddis at 8:47 PM on July 28, 2007

Cocaine.
posted by Roman Graves at 8:58 PM on July 28, 2007

Be a goalie. It's lot's of fun and nothing feels better than getting hit with a puck.
posted by zephyr_words at 8:59 PM on July 28, 2007

Mountain biking. I know lots of friends who've wiped out big time and gotten injured. I've been in a few myself.

Boat-racing.

ATVs. Or mudding (ie., ATV behaviour with trucks/SUVs)

Punting. Although with condoms it's not that "dangerous."

Mushrooming.
posted by porpoise at 9:00 PM on July 28, 2007

Oh, wow, yes. Like zephyr_words said, goaltending in hockey.

Are there any roller hockey beer/whatever leagues in your area? Goalie equipment can be expensive, but it sounds like money isn't a limiting factor for you, hobby-wise. See if there are any goal-tending schools in your area as a way to get started.

I love playing goalie since it's the "last defender" position and it feels grrreat to "rob" someone. Having pucks/balls fly towards you at sometimes speeds faster than a fastball (with a smaller impact profile) can really get the adrenaline pumping - when your job is to stop that flying esophogeous-crunching chunk of hard rubber...

Make sure you invest in the proper equipment (I'm surprised that I haven't been hurt more permanently; the throat-guard is a worthwhile investment).
posted by porpoise at 9:07 PM on July 28, 2007

it's a different kind of dangerous, but poker?
posted by cmyr at 9:39 PM on July 28, 2007

Juggling chainsaws?
posted by asuprenant at 9:43 PM on July 28, 2007

mountain biking.
posted by captaincrouton at 9:48 PM on July 28, 2007

Rock climbing?
posted by darkshade at 9:59 PM on July 28, 2007

What about being on the other end of the dangerous thing at a shooting range?
posted by mendel at 10:02 PM on July 28, 2007

Forget mountain biking, try bicycle commuting! Just like all those other activities, it isn't particularly dangerous if you do it right, but it feels like it is. You are putting huge resources into these activities, when real thrills are right outside your door.
Or, are you just looking for activities that will make other people think "Oh wow! He's dangerous."?
posted by Chuckles at 10:06 PM on July 28, 2007

Semi-dangerous + claustrophobe + acrophobe + TX = rodeo clown
posted by rob511 at 10:09 PM on July 28, 2007 [3 favorites]

Off-road Unicycling!
posted by Manjusri at 10:13 PM on July 28, 2007

SCCA. Get a cool car, take it to the track, go balls to the wall.
posted by weaponsgradecarp at 10:31 PM on July 28, 2007

Build amazing things, whereupon your life depends on your handiwork not failing at a critical time.

eg design, build, and fly your own personal airship
posted by -harlequin- at 10:32 PM on July 28, 2007

I've been involved in a lot of sports and horseback riding (jumping or eventing in particular) is definitely the most dangerous of them, if that's your main criteria. It's expensive in the US though and has a long and steep learning curve so if you're not feeling rich or patient how about taking up whtewater kayaking.
posted by fshgrl at 10:57 PM on July 28, 2007

Day in, day out, for the most excitement for your danger hobby dollar, buy a big bore, fast motorcycle, and ride it regularly.
posted by paulsc at 12:24 AM on July 29, 2007

Learn to snowboard, it is probably the most fun (and dangerous) thing I do. From there, once you have sufficient skill, do backcountry and heliboarding (both of which I've never tried, but really want to). Or there's always the halfpipe and rails and big jumps if that's what interests you. Make your own fun.
posted by knowles at 1:12 AM on July 29, 2007

Second the endurance riding-- or learn to ride cross-country (with jumps!)
posted by weezetr at 4:27 AM on July 29, 2007

Springboard diving.
posted by anaelith at 5:12 AM on July 29, 2007

Kite boarding or kite buggying
posted by Gungho at 5:18 AM on July 29, 2007

Weaponsgradecarp has it, buy a used Miata and take it racing at a local SCCA event. Kart Racing is also cheap-ish and insanely fun.
posted by saladin at 6:18 AM on July 29, 2007

Paragliding? No need to worry about the heights, because you have a parachute. And you can fly. Without an engine. I don't have a fantastic relationship with heights myself, but I've improved it a lot by climbing at indoor walls (but you need a climbing buddy to belay you) and spending some time on tall ships (this quickly gets expensive, quite apart from not being something you can do on the odd day off!).

Some kind of racing dinghy sailing? It may not sound dangerous initially, but you can get all sort of interesting injuries from being hit by the boom or anything breaking, even before we get to the whole issue of potentially drowning (which shouldn't happen when you're wearing a lifejacket, but all things are possible).
posted by Lebannen at 6:24 AM on July 29, 2007

Picking fights with people who are bigger and tougher than you.
posted by box at 7:03 AM on July 29, 2007 [1 favorite]

Disc golf. People throwing frisbees all over the place, you never know when one might fly out of nowhere and freaking kill you.
posted by baphomet at 7:18 AM on July 29, 2007

Thanks guys, yall gave some very interesting and often unusual answers. Sorry chuckles, however, I consider urban cycling where I live to be an utter suicide sport, and would prefer something where I have some control over when I die- cocaine, juggling chainsaws, and punting all seem significantly safer :)

The motorcycle, however.... the main problem with that is the MANY lectures I'd get from my family about it....
posted by Jacen at 7:32 AM on July 29, 2007

There's a pretty developed community of urban explorers in Texas. Houston and Dallas have a lot of abandoned spaces, and some require rappelling and canoeing (not to mention breaking and entering) to navigate.

If you get into the abandoned helium plant outside of Amarillo, let me know.
posted by lunalaguna at 8:23 AM on July 29, 2007

N-thing mountainbiking. Not the same type of adrenaline rush as motorcycle racing but very physically demanding and fun. Also, tried basejumping? I know nothing about it but I understand it's one of the more dangerous hobbies out there. It may be too similar to skydiving for your tastes though.
posted by Alterscape at 9:25 AM on July 29, 2007

Kiteboarding.

Caving is fun, but I've never found that it gives a sense of danger. Try vertical caving, where you rappel down into the cave, and accend back up. If you get really into it, I hear there is a cave in Mexico that you can do BASE jumping into. You can also combine caving with SCUBA.
posted by yohko at 10:50 AM on July 29, 2007

Day trading.
posted by dmd at 12:33 PM on July 29, 2007

Going off of what others are saying........ Fight Club. Just go find someone else like you and go beat the shit out of someone. If I wasn't such a pussy, I'd totally do it.

Then again, some guys won't hit chicks. Dammit.
posted by damnjezebel at 7:03 PM on July 29, 2007

I second Alterscape's recommendation of BASE jumping. I always wanted to try it when I was skydiving, but never did get into it. I can't imagine a bigger thrill than BASE.
posted by altcountryman at 8:58 PM on July 29, 2007

Become a mercenary. I hear it also pays well.
posted by Goofyy at 3:00 AM on July 30, 2007

You're in the market for a Longboard my friend. It's all the cool of skateboarding, without all the uncool baggy pants teenage sk8r boi stuff that makes it impossible to start skating when you're older than 20. The danger level is highly adjustable, so you're able to push it just enough to have a good chance of getting hurt without any real chance of actually dying.
posted by cheerleaders_to_your_funeral at 3:10 AM on July 30, 2007

2nding whitewater kayaking.

Message Board

Photos

Gratuitious Self Link
posted by craven_morhead at 9:22 AM on July 30, 2007

« Older Books for B&W Photography   |   How to become more vegetarian? Newer »