My Camera. It broke. I'm sad.

I had my camera (a Canon Rebel) plugged into a laptop when the laptop crashed. The laptop had to be rebooted, but now I can't get any computers to recognize my camera, or, in some cases, they recognize it, but say they don't have the right drivers. This has never been a problem before, what do I do?
posted by elr to Computers & Internet (5 answers total)

Is there anything important on the memory card? Try reformatting the card and restoring factory defaults.
posted by hobbes at 3:16 PM on July 27, 2007

Sounds like you f**ked the memory card (a CF card on a rebel, I think).

There are all kinds of recovery options to get those photos back, and you don't say if you're Mac, PC, or other. Any good file recovery software should do the trick if the pics are salvageable.

Then, reformat the card and see if that solves the problem.
posted by spitbull at 3:16 PM on July 27, 2007

If you have a card reader, try the memory card in that, just to check. Also, try resetting the camera settings to their defaults. If that doesn't work, try removing the battery from the camera and let it sit overnight to reset all its settings, and then try again.
posted by DarkForest at 4:25 PM on July 27, 2007

I got a help disk from Canon for that very problem with my 350. It just broke, btw, but that must have been from an internal glitch in the camera, and had nothing to do with the computer (I hope...)
posted by KimG at 7:01 PM on July 27, 2007

The lovely PhotoRec will recovery your photos for free.
posted by nilihm at 7:31 AM on July 28, 2007

« Older South Beachers show me the resources!   |   Delbert McClinton Newer »