London or Frankfurt for the weekend?

I'll be taking an extended business trip at the end of August that will leave myself and a buddy with an empty weekend in either London or Frankfurt. I've been to London quite a few times but never Frankfurt. Can some well traveled mefites please share their opinion as to which city they would consider and why? We don't intend to do anything too cultural but don't want to be very bored either.
posted by Umhlangan to Travel & Transportation (12 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

There is vastly more to do in London.
posted by grouse at 11:49 AM on July 25, 2007

However, Frankfurt has some interesting daytrips, if you're into charming deutsche towns and neighborhoods, including several spa towns. Are you more interested in being touristy, finding new or different experiences, or in local color or what?

Also, are you more likely to return to one place or the other? If you're never going to Frankfurt again, do it now.
posted by nax at 12:47 PM on July 25, 2007

There is vastly more to do in London

No doubt and like I said - I've been to London many times. I'm wondering if it's worth doing something different and exploring Frankfurt instead.
posted by Umhlangan at 12:52 PM on July 25, 2007

Depends on your attitude...

If you want amazing food, go to Frankfurt. If you want amazing beer that you'll never drink anywhere else, go to Frankfurt. If you want to taste a local delicacy, drink Apfelwein, or applewine.

Amazing cheese and bread, a good music scene, good outdoorsy culture, and hot girls who speak a different language than you.

Or...you know, London.

Easy choice for me, but then I've been to frankfurt before and I'll go again.
posted by TomMelee at 1:05 PM on July 25, 2007

Beer and sausage.

Is there anything more in life you REALLY need?
posted by gergtreble at 3:26 PM on July 25, 2007

30 minutes north of Frankfurt by train (which you can catch from inside the Frankfurt airport), on the Rhine River, is Rüdesheim, some times known as "The Party City." Great views of the Rhine Valley, cable car rides over the massive vineyards, the 1876 Niederwald Monument, day boat trip down the Rhine (the river flows north) through the Castle Region and many other tourist activities await. And there are plenty of places to eat and drink very well, to your hearts content!
posted by paulsc at 3:50 PM on July 25, 2007

Frankfurt is a business/commerce hub more than a tourist hub. That said, it's really relaxing and fun to walk around the river and around the opera house area... and there's excellent cheap food everywhere. (As you probably know, Germany will be cheaper than London for food, transportation, lodging, everything.) I say go for it.

If I had a weekend starting & ending in Frankfurt, I'd actually spend it all in Köln [Cologne], which is maybe two hours away by train and is an excellent tourist/culture city.
posted by allterrainbrain at 9:21 PM on July 25, 2007

Thanks a lot. It looks like we'll be sampling the delights of Germany for the weekend.
posted by Umhlangan at 5:29 AM on July 26, 2007

Don't forget that Frankfurt is in Bavaria, so there are bajillions of wonderful small, attractive towns full of local flavor all over the place. Seriously, pick a direction and ride a train.

Not far south south of Frankfurt is the town where I was an exchange student---there's a really neat lake called the Altmuehlsee and, not far from that there's 2 really great lakes called the Gross Bambachsee and the Klein Bambachsee. If you don't want to ride a train, rent a scooter and seriously just go crazy.

The little Bavarian towns are usually very friendly, and often have a large tourist trade already---although not necessarily American tourists.

But seriously, food wise, Bavaria kicks london's ass.
posted by TomMelee at 5:32 AM on July 26, 2007

Roops...Brombachsee
posted by TomMelee at 5:34 AM on July 26, 2007

Er... Frankfurt is in Hessen, not in Bavaria.
Just sayin'.
posted by ClarissaWAM at 10:51 AM on July 28, 2007

Ya, realized that, was hoping nobody would notice. ;-)
posted by TomMelee at 8:04 PM on July 28, 2007

« Older Current Events in Prague/Poland   |   W.ine I.s N.ot E.asy? Or is it? Newer »