What's the best learn spanish cd?

What is the best audio resources for learning spanish? I commute about 1.5hrs/day and would like to get some more spanish learning time in. Can someone recommend a good cd set? I have 3yrs spanish in high school, use it at work, but am a little rusty (I used to be conversational).
posted by aussicht to Education (8 answers total) 17 users marked this as a favorite

Since you were once conversational in Spanish, perhaps you'd do well with some Spanish podcasts, Spanish books-on-tape, or even by transcoding the Spanish language track Audio from a DVD movie or tv show into mp3 format?
posted by backwards guitar at 6:56 AM on July 18, 2007

I think the Pimsleur and Oxford sets are worth a shot.
posted by thelongcon at 7:14 AM on July 18, 2007

I second Pimsleur. I've tried a few systems and Pimsleur is by far the best.
posted by markulus at 7:20 AM on July 18, 2007

Me three - the Pimsleur System has done more for my Spanish than any other. It's not exactly cheap but it is quite good.
posted by pierow at 7:52 AM on July 18, 2007

I use Pimsleur, and it's awesome for the first 2 levels, but be aware that the reviews for level 3 at amazon aren't stellar. Everyone there recommends the FSI set for the more advanced learner.

I'd also recommend the Coffee-Break spanish podcast, it's spanish with a scottish accent, how can you go wrong with that?
posted by blue_beetle at 7:55 AM on July 18, 2007

I love Pimsleur. I'm much better at learning a language aurally rather than through on paper grammatical review, etc., and Pimsleur is very effective for anyone who learns language better as a mimic -- or perhaps is looking to brush up their conversational skills in a language they already know. I've used it to brush up both my rusty French and similarly rusty Spanish, and to learn some basic Japanese (and basic Japanese pronunciation) before a trip. VERY expensive, but your library may have them or be able to get them through inter-library loan, as mine did.
posted by tigerbelly at 7:58 AM on July 18, 2007

Pimsleur is great. Suggest you shop around, I got mine here for much less than what other places were charging.
posted by Wet Spot at 10:01 AM on July 18, 2007

I had a good experience with Michel Thomas's Spanish CD's. Get past the cheesy 'I will teach you just 10 days!' copy and it's actually pretty good, relying on a model that gradually builds your vocabulary without you really realising, until you find yourself stringing together proper, useful sentences. They're pricey new, but you can get 'em cheap on ebay.
posted by Happy Dave at 11:28 AM on July 18, 2007

« Older Chat - no strings attached?   |   Ideas for theming an event Newer »