Shades like these?

Where can I buy sunglasses like these?

Or otherwise, is there a name for this style of frame so I can look for them myself?

I'm in Toronto and am open to localised suggestions, or to online vendors.
Thanks.
posted by Evstar to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

They look like classic Ray-Ban Wayfarers. According to Ray-Ban's website, it looks like the most common place to find their line in the GTA is Sunglass Hut.
posted by AV at 11:12 AM on July 17, 2007

They look like Ray-Ban Wayfarers.
posted by Floydd at 11:14 AM on July 17, 2007

DOH!

To leech off of someone else's question: Anyone have any ideas how one would get dwayne wayne style flip-up glasses? My googling failed me.
posted by frieze at 11:33 AM on July 17, 2007

They're not quite Wayfarers -- they have a more 60s Italian look, rather than the 50s American look of the Wayfarers. they also look a bit smaller than Wayfarers.

You're not likely to find the actual sunglasses in the picture, assuming it's an old picture. If you're looking for something with a similar feel, but that's not a Ray-Ban Wayfarer, try other companies' versions of similar glasses. One that's pretty close, but not quite it, is Hoven's Risky glasses. If you got the right color frame and lens, it would be a pretty close approximation.
posted by The World Famous at 11:35 AM on July 17, 2007

It's definitely a young Peter O'Toole in the pic you linked. Googling him, I found this pic, which may or may not be the same shades. Not much help, I realize.
posted by wsg at 3:16 PM on July 17, 2007

They're not quite Wayfarers -- they have a more 60s Italian look, rather than the 50s American look of the Wayfarers.

Indeed. In fact, I have a pair of glasses with that are vintage 1960s italian frames and, in my mind, are closer to the linked image than Wayfarers: here's a photo.

The inside markings say "Christan Frame-Italy" (that's right, no second I), and then a series of numbers that probably won't help you. (46-20 on the lens frame, and #1045 on one of the ear pieces).

I purchased them at a vintage frame shop in NYC (which I believe was recommended in a previous AskMe question).

"vintage 60s glasses" (and other search permutations) bring up (among others) this and this, which are both pretty close. Your best bet might be to set up an RSS feed and wait until something you like pops up.

wow, at 19.99 for a buy-it-now, *I* might buy those frames
posted by fishfucker at 5:38 PM on July 17, 2007

« Older How many balloons would it take to fill a room?   |   Is there any non-horrible VOIP? Newer »