Calling All PDF Ninjas

PDF filter: How do I tweak my PDF so that when it opens the search pane is visible, and the bookmarks bar visible, but with all bookmarks collapsed?

I am using InDesign CS to create a PDF of our organization's handbook to be distributed on cd and made available on the web. I want anyone who opens the PDF of this document to see the "search" pane on the right of the screen, and the "bookmarks" pane on the left. Since there are a lot of bookmarks within each "chapter" I only want the user to see the collapsed chapter bookmarks when the document is opened.

Just to be clear...
I've managed to set it up so that the bookmarks pane appears when the document is opened, but all of the bookmarks are shown in "expanded" display, instead of just their "parent" bookmarks, which is what I want.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the search pane appear automatically upon opening the document.

Hive mind - help me achieve PDF perfection!
posted by man on the run to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Which version of Acrobat?
posted by desjardins at 7:57 AM on July 17, 2007

Although I don't know the specifics of InDesign, PDF documents are specified as having a list of "Open Actions" - these are actions to take when a document has been opened.

According to the spec, you probably want to use the "Named" action type. The spec says that there are four standard Named actions, which are not what you want, but the spec also alludes to the fact that Acrobat viewers extend the list of actions to include most of the menu item names in the viewer. Therefore, I would suspect that if you set a Named action and used "Search" you will get the behavior you want for the search pane.

Again, I don't have InDesign, so I can't verify this.
posted by plinth at 8:03 AM on July 17, 2007

To answer desjardins question: Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4)

Thanks
posted by man on the run at 8:43 AM on July 17, 2007

If you send me your PDF, I'll take a look at it. My email is in my profile.
posted by fandango_matt at 11:08 AM on July 17, 2007

Open Document Properties, set the Initial View to Bookmarks + Page. Close the dialog box by clicking OK, then click Save.
The bookmarks should be collapsed by default.
posted by disclaimer at 12:40 PM on July 17, 2007

I'm sorry, I should have previewed better.

Once you've saved the PDF from Indesign you'll need to open it in Acrobat Standard or Professional (not the reader) to access the document properties box.
posted by disclaimer at 12:42 PM on July 17, 2007

« Older What is this mysterious tiny object?   |   Software Specification Help Newer »