Contacts Online

Where should I buy contact lenses online?

So my old set of lenses just got through their last batch, and I'm shopping around for a good place online that's well priced and reliable. I figured, instead of using my google-fu, I thought I would petition the hive mind.

So to summarize,

Could some of you kind folks direct me to a good place online to buy contact lenses? (I already have the prescription information)
posted by CXImran to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (12 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

I just bought some through 1800contacts.com.

I've done this several times, and never had a bad experience.
posted by jeff-o-matic at 8:50 AM on July 14, 2007

I second 1800contacts if you've got the prescription info. I've bought from them previously and will probably buy from them shortly, as I'm on my last right lens.
posted by Lucinda at 9:03 AM on July 14, 2007

Online, I've only ever used 1800contacts.com, for the last 5 years or so. Pretty quick shipping and decent customer service.
posted by Exchequer at 9:05 AM on July 14, 2007

Another satisfied 1800contacts.com customer here.
posted by ericb at 9:23 AM on July 14, 2007

1800 contacts is the easiest thing ever.
posted by sweetkid at 9:26 AM on July 14, 2007

AskMefi hijack - any recommendations for people in the UK?
posted by adrianhon at 9:30 AM on July 14, 2007

1800contacts.com in the U.S.
clearlycontacts.ca in Canada
(Both were/are great!)
Sorry.. no UK experience.
posted by defcom1 at 10:19 AM on July 14, 2007

adrianhon: I've used Coastal Contacts in the past to buy contacts in the UK. However, they are much more expensive to buy in the UK, so I tend to order them from the American site, to be delivered to my friend's house in Ohio and then collect them when I visit. If you have a friend in the US who'd be willing to collect them and ship them on to you (they're light so don't cost a lot to ship) you could save a lot of money.

Example : 20 boxes of 1-day Acuvue (10 per eye) cost £312.48 from the UK site. That's around $635. The same lenses on the US website are $495.
posted by essexjan at 10:24 AM on July 14, 2007

you don't say what type of contacts you wear but 1800contacts.com does not carry rigid gas permeable lenses.
you can get them from www.VisionDirect.com and www.discountcontactlenses.com. I haven't used either of these places but at least they carry RGPs.
posted by nimsey lou at 10:32 AM on July 14, 2007

Nth 1800Contacts. I hadn't ordered from them in over a year and had changed addresses, and they were able to track down my prescription from last time I'd ordered. And it arrived very quickly even though I live in a remote area. Good service, good prices = happiness.
posted by ibmcginty at 10:48 AM on July 14, 2007

I used Vision Direct thru Drugstore.com to get mine. I was happy with it. It was way better priced than going thru my eye dr. and was about the same price as 1800contacts as I recall. I buy Focus Dailies, fwiw. It was trouble-free as well - I just told them who my optometrist was and apparently they dealt with the rest of it from there.
posted by Medieval Maven at 11:59 AM on July 14, 2007

N-nthing 1800contacts. I've never had a problem with them, fast shipping, they store your prescription, they send reminders when I need to order more (I use frequent replacement ones) and their prices are good.
posted by biscotti at 9:09 PM on July 15, 2007

« Older Pronounce Sapindales   |   Whoever took my camera from my house, you suck Newer »