Temperature indicators that create thermal profiles.
July 9, 2007 7:32 AM   Subscribe

I am looking for a temperature indicator that comes in the form of a sheet, or a film, and permanently changes color in areas that have been exposed to high temperature. Does anyone know where I could find such a device?

I am running some experiments and would like to have a "thermal profile" of the maximum temperatures across a particular body.

I noticed that the food packing industry have indicators to place on shipments during transit that will tell if a temperature was met by changing color.

Does something exist that can indicate across a span or temperatures? I am particularly interested in 150-800°C. High accuracy is not needed.

Thanks for any help!
posted by nickerbocker to Technology (6 answers total)
Tempilsticks are commonly used in the metal fabrication business.
posted by paulsc at 7:40 AM on July 9, 2007

posted by MtDewd at 7:42 AM on July 9, 2007

Well, here are temperature indicator stickers that are used for shipping, but I don't think they don't go into the range you're looking for.
posted by falconred at 7:43 AM on July 9, 2007

Thermax strips? Used for determining how hot brake calipers get.
posted by jaimev at 7:59 AM on July 9, 2007

Many different kinds of irreversible indicators are available at Omega.
posted by jet_silver at 9:21 AM on July 9, 2007

a cheap version would be the sort of paper you use in thermal printers (eg fax machines), might be quite useful for experimenting for not much money.
posted by derbs at 11:31 AM on July 9, 2007

« Older New to Cleveland. Where's the gamers?   |   Can you identify this antique? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.