It smells so yummy...

How do YOU bakhoor?

I love the chunky, resin-y, incense that my Somalian co-worker led me to. He directed me to a tiny Arabic shop and I bought 5.00 worth. That's alot. So how do you burn it? I Googled and saw the burners made for bakhoor, etc. and my friend would burn it on a piece of aluminum foil on his stovetop. I don't want to order the burner and the stovetop thing doesn't have the ol' special "burning ritual" thing going on that I want. Yeah, so what do you do?
posted by wafaa to Home & Garden (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Would a tart warmer work? Found it almost any stinkarrific candle shop in your local mall.
posted by hindmost at 3:59 PM on June 28, 2007

Response by poster: Tried that. It doesn't get hot enough to start smoking. Rats.
posted by wafaa at 4:02 PM on June 28, 2007

I've never used that particular resin, but when I used to burn incense, I bought some compressed chrcoal disks off ebay, and put them in a special dish thing (I forget what it was called) that caught the ash underneath. Put the resin on top, then lit the charcoal. It worked really well.
posted by Solomon at 4:05 PM on June 28, 2007

Best answer: These, for example.
posted by Solomon at 4:06 PM on June 28, 2007

Best answer: Yep, this is the stuff you want.
posted by ottereroticist at 4:13 PM on June 28, 2007

Many of your new age or pagan/occult stores will carry those charcoal discs too.
posted by kimdog at 5:48 PM on June 28, 2007

My very large health-food store even carries them.

FYI, though - make sure you either find a specialized burner, or use a much, much larger bowl, filled with clean sand or kosher salt (easier to come by) to hold the disc. I recently used a 1.5" diameter cup full of sand to hold the disc, and the heat from the disc is SO intense that it melted three layers of cotton-poly cloth that was underneath. I've done this in the past, but I guess I probably used a bigger container to disperse the heat better.
posted by cobaltnine at 6:11 AM on June 30, 2007

« Older Land of Confusion   |   What software should I use to write a VCD? Newer »