Impressive stock photo, now what is it?
June 28, 2007 2:39 PM   Subscribe

What is this nifty-looking piece of equipment? [via]
posted by Skorgu to Computers & Internet (6 answers total)
Well those cables are fiber optics, and they're plugged into what are basically network cards. I don't know what you'd call it. A switch or router or other kind of telco equipment.
posted by poppo at 2:54 PM on June 28, 2007

Judging by the labels, they're probably media converters for putting some number of E1 links over single-mode optical fibres, with what looks like SC fiber connectors.
posted by Luddite at 3:49 PM on June 28, 2007

Definitely fiber optics. I work for an electronics company that builds these PCB's. I've repaired many in my time. Very touchy. Like poppo said, network, or like what we make--home integrated system units for cable, phone, etc.
posted by wafaa at 3:55 PM on June 28, 2007

Yeah, the cards say "EI" on them, so as Luddite says, they're fiber-optic E1 line cards. Probably in some sort of telco rack-type setup. Newbridge used to sell equipment like that many moons ago. I don't know telco equipment anywhere near well enough to tell the make of those cards from that photo though.
posted by GuyZero at 7:05 PM on June 28, 2007

Maybe a part of an OC192 or something similar?
posted by jammnrose at 7:40 PM on June 28, 2007

I can't identify the make, but it looks like the headend to a fiber circuit, like jammnrose said. It's sufficiently 'techie' enough for the picture they want, but not so specific that just anyone can readily identify it.
posted by pupdog at 8:08 PM on June 28, 2007

« Older Cellswapper - good or evil?   |   Stringy seaweed Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.