WRT45G v6 as wireless bridge?

I have several machines without wireless cards in my basement, a wireless network upstairs, and a WRT45G v6 wireless router I'm not using. Can I merge these all into one big happy network?

I gather what I need to do is turn the WRT45G into a wireless bridge. I also gather there is open source firmware available to allow that. I'm unclear on whether I can install any of this firmware on version 6 of the WRT45G. Most of what I've read suggests I can't, but I've seen some suggestions that it may be possible. I tried installing something from Sveasoft's public firmwares and got an error message from the router saying it won't work. A previous AskMe thread suggests there is hope, but the linked page is currently empty. So is there any way to get this working? I'm running OS X if that's relevant.
posted by scottreynen to Computers & Internet (7 answers total)

Best answer: I did a bit of poking around at the wiki referenced from the earlier thread, and found the following DD-WRT page: Version 5 And 6 Router Information. That page has several links to instructions on installing DD-WRT micro on a v.6 WRT45G, here is the first of the links: Upgrading to Linux from a VX Works Router. Pay attention to the warnings on the DD-WRT wiki page and the WRTrouters page.
posted by RichardP at 8:09 PM on June 20, 2007

Tomato FAQ
posted by TomMelee at 4:24 AM on June 21, 2007

Response by poster: RichardP, thanks, I guess I'll try following those instructions from Windows after I get Parallels running. I was hoping there was a simpler, less risky solution I just hadn't found.

TomMelee, thanks but, "Note: Most WRT54G and WRT54GS (not WRT54GL) sold in stores right now are the v5.0+ variety and will not work with Tomato."
posted by scottreynen at 6:31 AM on June 21, 2007

I've found that buffalo routers are quite nifty and are upgradable to dd-wrt.

Furthermore, you should be able to purchase a 5-port workgroup switch from newegg and run one cable from the middle floor (wi-fi router) down to the basement. Then plug that one cable into the switch and all the other computers into that. That way you only have to pay for cabling and a $20 switch and not (less reliable, slow, expensive) wireless. The device above ground should get better signal anywho, so place the router closer to where the computers using it will be.
posted by ijoyner at 7:43 AM on June 21, 2007

I can confirm that the buffalo tech router works well. I bought it at Circuit City for $25 and then upgraded the firmware to the open sourced dd-wrt which has bridge functionality.
posted by DerekTheGeek at 8:04 AM on June 21, 2007

I've got a wrt54gl flashed with dd-wrt running as a bridge -- it's a little quirky to set up if I remember right, but it works flawlessly. Basically, the dd-wrt machine becomes a client on the wireless network and all the wired stuff connects in behind it as a separate subnet.
posted by ph00dz at 8:08 AM on June 21, 2007

Yes, you can flash a v6 router - I asked this question last week, (sort of) but found my way to your answer. Here is the answer I got, and it worked great.

You can also buy these preloaded on Ebay for around $30 US.
posted by TeamBilly at 1:09 PM on June 21, 2007

« Older Delayed delivery for daily doses of ... uh ... me?   |   Moduar Furniture Experience? Newer »