Where can I find a good doctor in Philadelphia that will help me diagnose Celiac disease?
June 8, 2007 7:47 AM   Subscribe

Where can I find a good doctor in Philadelphia that will help me diagnose Celiac disease?

I was "kind of" diagnosed with Celiac disease about a year ago by my previous doctor. My symptoms pointed towards it but the Blood Work tests came back with results that the doctor said weren't definitive. They told me to try the diet and see how I felt. I've been doing just that since then and I do believe I see a difference. I moved to Philadelphia more permanently recently and have to get a new doctor. Any suggestions on a doctor in the area that is familiar with Celiac? Thanks!
posted by austinlee to Health & Fitness (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Any internist should be able to start the workup, and refer you appropriately (biopsy is the gold standard for diagnosis), and that would be done by a GI doc.
posted by gramcracker at 9:00 AM on June 8, 2007

I believe to get a proper diagnosis via biopsy, you have to have been eating the equivalent of one piece of wheat bread each day for one month. If you've been eating a gluten free diet, you will test negative for Celiac.
posted by peep at 9:41 AM on June 8, 2007

I don't have an answer for you for the Celiac, but I do have doctor's recommendations for Philly.

Email's in the profile if you're interested.
posted by misanthropicsarah at 11:25 AM on June 8, 2007

A gastroenterologist can make a definitive diagnosis of celiac disease by biopsy. Your primary care physician can help determine if your symptoms are that of celiac and help you get the proper testing. Good luck!
posted by objdoc at 4:03 PM on June 8, 2007

These guys did it for me. Non-quackery, do it from anywhere - my GI doc referred me to them.

posted by bitterkitten at 4:28 PM on June 8, 2007

« Older Has anybody tried nightime wear contact lenses?   |   SOP for banks, guards, and guns. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.