Glass Danse
June 1, 2007 3:46 PM   Subscribe

I want to bring back the John Lennon style glasses, but affordably. I want to find sub-$200 round frame glasses.

I found these on Ralph Lauren Purple Label but at $400, the price is about double what I am willing to pay. I have scoured countless sunglass stores to no avail.
posted by daviss to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (14 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
First hit on Google search for "round sunglasses" turned up these. Those Ralph Lauren sunglasses don't look at all like the ones John Lennon wore, in my opinion.
posted by junesix at 3:59 PM on June 1, 2007

Windsor Frames
posted by rhizome at 4:34 PM on June 1, 2007

If you're in a big enough city to have a Hot Topic or another store like that that goth kids would shop at, try there. For that matter, you might also have luck at a head shop, although you might find that there they come in weird lens colors like purple, blue and green.

(And yes, those RL sunglasses are more accountant-style than John Lennon-style. Purple Label is RL's high-end line, if you're wondering why the price is where it is.)
posted by mendel at 4:35 PM on June 1, 2007

rhizome has it. Buy a pair of vintage frames and have whatever lenses you want put in. hhas some great old frames at a good price.
posted by lekvar at 4:48 PM on June 1, 2007

And when you accidentally break them, Hermione can perform an Oculus Reparo.
posted by sageleaf at 6:39 PM on June 1, 2007

I've been planning to do the same thing. But if I bought the frames from eyeglasseswarehouse, where would I get the lenses made and fitted at?
posted by Ethereal Bligh at 6:49 PM on June 1, 2007

Have you tried charity shops ? Junk shops ? Flea markets ?
posted by Webbster at 8:51 PM on June 1, 2007

John Lennon Eyeglasses Eyewear
posted by plokent at 8:58 PM on June 1, 2007

I don't know how authentically Lennonesque these are, but I've been wearing them for a few years and I like them. $135, perfectly round.
posted by bricoleur at 4:50 AM on June 2, 2007

You can have any old brick-and-mortar lens shop (Pearle, LensCrafters, etc.) make the lenses for vintage frames, in my experience. They may grumble and they may charge a little more, but what you'll save on the frames should make up for it.
posted by fiercecupcake at 7:34 AM on June 2, 2007

(And I think my dad got those ones bricoleur posted. He, too, was looking for Lennonesque, and he loves 'em.)
posted by fiercecupcake at 7:35 AM on June 2, 2007

I don't know how well these precisely conform to what you're looking for, but at Zenni Optical they have a pair of round frame glasses for about $20. They might work for you, though they may be a little more Potter than Lennon.
posted by shanevsevil at 12:27 PM on June 2, 2007

These links are what I turned up on my own search for windsor frames. I've never actually purchased these, but would eventually like to get something like them.
posted by ericales at 6:15 PM on June 3, 2007

That seems not to have worked.
posted by ericales at 6:17 PM on June 3, 2007

« Older Septic System   |   Good lord. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.