How to connect firewire to a USB-only computer?
June 1, 2007 11:54 AM   Subscribe

My camcorder uses firewire, no USB port. My computer has USB slots, but no firewire. Best solution?
posted by Pater Aletheias to Technology (10 answers total)
What kind of computer do you have, my friend?
posted by mr_roboto at 12:00 PM on June 1, 2007

Best answer: As far as I know there's no 'adapter' between the two types. My suggestion would be either to buy a PCI Firewire card for your PC if it's a desktop, or purchase a Firewire PCMCIA card for it if it's a laptop.

These cards, at least for desktop machines, are relatively inexpensive - at least last time I checked it out. You can get a Firewire PCI card at your local CompUSA or Best Buy for under $50. Laptop PCMCIA cards might be more expensive.

I think this is your absolute best bet, and shouldn't cost a whole lot.
posted by kbanas at 12:02 PM on June 1, 2007

Cheap firewire card. Like this one, for example.
posted by boaz at 12:03 PM on June 1, 2007

Best answer: In fact, I found one on New Egg for $29.99 (PCI):

A PCMCIA card for laptops looks to be closer to $50:

So, there you go!
posted by kbanas at 12:03 PM on June 1, 2007

Best answer: If it's a desktop, just go out and buy a PCI Firewire card. (Sometimes called a "IEEE 1394 Host Adapter," or variations thereof.) I think last time I was at Microcenter I saw generic ones for about $15-20.

If it's a laptop, you can get a PC-Card that serves a similar function, although it may be harder to come by. (Probably not locally available unless you have a very good computer store near you.) Here are some reviews on them I turned up by a quick Google search. Note that you don't need the faster "Firewire 800" for your purposes; the older plain-jane Firewire (aka Firewire 400) is fine.
posted by Kadin2048 at 12:06 PM on June 1, 2007

Installing a cheap firewire card is a doddle. You can do it.
posted by chuckdarwin at 12:08 PM on June 1, 2007

Response by poster: It's a laptop (Dell Latitude 620). Sorry, Should have thought to mention that.
posted by Pater Aletheias at 12:09 PM on June 1, 2007

Response by poster: Guess that means the PCMCIA card, then.
posted by Pater Aletheias at 12:09 PM on June 1, 2007

Yep, looks like you're stuck shelling out for a PCMCIA card, sorry.
posted by boreddusty at 12:27 PM on June 1, 2007

I added a USB2+Firewire card to my 1999-era laptop to add a few external drives. Card cost $20 or so from Newegg.
posted by meehawl at 12:44 PM on June 1, 2007

« Older Diagnose broken laptop display?   |   Cheap hackable cell phone? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.