I'm so vain, I think this pictures about me
May 23, 2007 1:13 PM   Subscribe

Is there a commonly used term, slang or otherwise, besides self-portrait, to describe a picture taken of yourself, by yourself, holding the camera at arms length?
posted by TuxHeDoh to Grab Bag (23 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I've heard these referred to as "Myspace(y) shots" due to their abundance on the site.
posted by boreddusty at 1:18 PM on May 23, 2007

Urban Dictionary offers netdiseased.
posted by teleskiving at 1:19 PM on May 23, 2007

I've seen "selfpic" used
posted by Thorzdad at 1:21 PM on May 23, 2007

I have also seen "selfpic" used.
posted by aramaic at 1:24 PM on May 23, 2007

Well, in some contexts, ISM.[NSFW].
posted by The Bellman at 1:24 PM on May 23, 2007

I think of them as camwhorin's.
posted by Ambrosia Voyeur at 1:26 PM on May 23, 2007

Response by poster: Wow I hadn't even thought about the myspace/camwhore angle.... I started doing this as a teen, whenever I'd see someone elses camera sitting around, pick it up and snap a picture of myself..... and now with digital some of my favorite pictures of my wife and myself are the same technique. I was hoping for a more endearing term, mostly for tagging on flickr.
posted by TuxHeDoh at 1:36 PM on May 23, 2007

Not quite, but of interest: Internet disease.
posted by kmennie at 1:41 PM on May 23, 2007

I do that all the time on vacations, and for some reason I call it autophotography.
posted by gurple at 1:52 PM on May 23, 2007 [1 favorite]

I call them "vain myspace pictures" and people know exactly what I'm talking about.
posted by thehmsbeagle at 2:00 PM on May 23, 2007

I like to call it The Angles
posted by nakedsushi at 2:19 PM on May 23, 2007

posted by joe lisboa at 2:43 PM on May 23, 2007 [2 favorites]

myspace pic
posted by thebrokenmuse at 3:03 PM on May 23, 2007

I've seen it referred to as a fat girl angle shot, but that may be a specific rather than general case. I am neither endorsing nor decrying such a label, simply relaying it.
posted by Justinian at 3:10 PM on May 23, 2007

we call them Holdouts, and like TuxHeDoh, some of our best shots come from that technique.

It helps to have 3' long arms, too...
posted by toomanyplugs at 3:15 PM on May 23, 2007

On a recent trip in Europe, my teenaged niece held her camera at arm's length to snap a photo of herself with palace ruins in the background and intoned drolly, "MySpace castle!"

So yeah, I'm thinking "MySpace photo" has entered the vernacular.
posted by Elsa at 3:24 PM on May 23, 2007

myspace angles?
posted by damnjezebel at 3:42 PM on May 23, 2007

I've heard the term "helicopter shot" used to describe the specific angle in which the camera is held fairly high to eliminate double chins. etc.
posted by doift at 5:13 PM on May 23, 2007

We refer to it as "the pose" and even have a flickr group for it.
posted by yodelingisfun at 5:14 PM on May 23, 2007

The shot that doift refers to is what I'd heard specifically called the "fat girl angle".
posted by Justinian at 5:32 PM on May 23, 2007

TuxHeDoh, you might check out the flickr ALSPE* group.
*Arm's Length Self-Portrait Experience
posted by rob511 at 7:17 PM on May 23, 2007

MySpace Picture.
posted by rxrfrx at 7:43 PM on May 23, 2007

posted by markovitch at 3:11 PM on May 24, 2007

« Older Missouri rental lease question!   |   Ford! You 'ol scoundrel! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.