Teeth slanting inward
May 22, 2007 9:41 PM   Subscribe

Help me find the word that describes teeth that slant inward.

Most teeth grow nearly vertically. Some people have teeth that slant inward (from the root to the tip of the tooth). Is there a name for this? It doesn't seem to be very common, but surely it's frequent to have a name, doesn't it?
posted by exphysicist345 to Health & Fitness (10 answers total)
The orthodontic term for inwards inclining teeth is retruded. Teeth that incline outwards are said to be protruded.

(For bonus points, the OED mentions the very archaic in-toothed.)
posted by zamboni at 10:17 PM on May 22, 2007 [1 favorite]

angle grinders
posted by UbuRoivas at 12:18 AM on May 23, 2007

Helen Hunt has a mild case of retruded front teeth.
posted by HotPatatta at 12:26 AM on May 23, 2007

And so does Kirsten Dunst.
posted by HotPatatta at 12:31 AM on May 23, 2007

posted by livinginmonrovia at 12:54 AM on May 23, 2007


I always found them sexy and, oddly, perhaps, this is what I always think when I see them.
posted by From Bklyn at 1:38 AM on May 23, 2007

According to the dictionary, retrusion means "a condition characterized by the backward displacement of a tooth or teeth." Backward, toward the back of the neck. So I can believe that in-slanted front teeth are retruded. But what about side teeth that are slanted inward, toward the tongue (not backward, toward the back)?

Here, look at Kirsten Dunst's teeth. See how her side teeth slant inwards? What's the word for that?
posted by exphysicist345 at 11:35 AM on May 23, 2007

posted by UbuRoivas at 5:24 PM on May 24, 2007

Thanks, UbuRoivas.

indents (or indented)

Bonus points: It's also an indentional pun.
posted by exphysicist345 at 9:07 PM on May 24, 2007

Wisecracks don't help people find answers.

posted by UbuRoivas at 9:37 PM on May 24, 2007 [1 favorite]

« Older More than 2 IE7 connections?   |   Need a raise, but how? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.