Buying an IPod at Costco

First-Time IPod Purchaser: Help save me from a fruitless trip to Costco.

I have to purchase a 30 gig IPod pretty quickly (read: tomorrow). It seems like everywhere I go, the price is $249.

I am a member of Costco, and I figure they have some current promotion, but I can't find anything online. I absolutely hate going there for one-off price comparisons like this.

Their web site doesn't list a price, but does show they carry them. Thoughts on price there? Do they offer any extra value-added goodies?

If it helps, I'm in the DC area, but I'd imagine this would be a national offer. I'm also interested in any other suggestions for purchasing an IPod (and peripheral items).
posted by redarmycomrade to Shopping (10 answers total)

This IPod is what I'm looking for (or something comparable).
posted by redarmycomrade at 12:47 PM on May 15, 2007

I believe Apple's agreement with re-sellers (Costco, Target, and anyone else selling Apple products) is that they cannot price items for less than Apple itself sells their stuff.
Occasionally, you will find a difference of a couple of bucks, but that's rare.
posted by Thorzdad at 12:54 PM on May 15, 2007

I was in my local Costco yesterday and they weren't running any value-add bundles, it was just the standard pod + usb2 cable + headphones + velvety sack that comes with all iPods. Sorry, I don't recall the price since I wasn't in the market for one, but in the past I've noticed they are a few bucks cheaper than retail (but not cheaper than buying through Amazon and skipping the sales tax + waiting for free shipping).

Call your local Costco's member service desk on the phone. At least over here, they have never declined to give a price over the phone, though they will often ask for your membership number to verify you are a member.
posted by jamaro at 12:56 PM on May 15, 2007

The only place I've ever seen decent prices on iPods is Amazon. They are usually 5-7% off, free shipping, and no sales tax. Doesn't do you much good though, unless the overnight shipping is really cheap.
posted by smackfu at 12:57 PM on May 15, 2007

They can't advertise iPods for less than retail, but they can sell them for less than retail. Anyway, it sounds like they are not doing so.
posted by caddis at 1:05 PM on May 15, 2007

I used to work in a big box store (which shall remain nameless), but some of the salesmen informed me that we were pretty much selling iPods at cost. In my experience, it seems to be the case all around.

I'm not sure if you're a student or not, but Apple does offer discounts for students at their store. It's not much, but it's better than nothing.
posted by aranyx at 2:23 PM on May 15, 2007

When I've seen Apple stuff at Costco, it's usually been about $5-$10 below list price. I haven't seen bundles. I'd estimate that their price would probably be around $239-$246 for a $249 iPod.
posted by designbot at 2:28 PM on May 15, 2007

The real reason to buy an iPod at Costco -- their liberal return policy -- is gone now, due to a policy change this year. Now, mp3 players, televisions and computers only have a 90 day return window.
posted by porn in the woods at 2:30 PM on May 15, 2007

any other suggestions for purchasing an IPod

Are you a student or teacher? Know anyone who is? There's a substantial (~10%, IIRC) discount if you buy directly through Apple.
posted by puddleglum at 3:49 PM on May 15, 2007

This .edu discount is gone for good. Pity - I saved a few coins in my day.
posted by porn in the woods at 4:54 PM on May 15, 2007

« Older rock rock the planet rock...dont stop   |   someone else's slide show Newer »