Dealing with limited IP addresses

My ISP (cable) provides me with two IP addresses, but I now have three computers. What's the best way to set this up? (More-->)

I have a Mac (OS X), a Windows 98 box and now a Windows server 2003 box. I know I'm going to need a router, but are there any advantages to using both IP addresses (i.e., placing a switch in front of two routers)? Is it worth getting a router with a built-in firewall? Also, what's the difference between a hub and a switch.
posted by timeistight to Computers & Internet (4 answers total)

Hub vs. Switch.
posted by dflemingdotorg at 6:39 PM on April 3, 2004

but are there any advantages to using both IP addresses

I got a second IP address because I was sick of fighting with my firewall to make online games (FPSs) work properly. My gaming computer is connected directly to the internet on one IP address, my personal and work computers are behind this router / firewall on the other IP address.
posted by Sirius at 7:42 PM on April 3, 2004

i don't game, so can't comment on sirius's problems, but i have everything (a linux firewall, then a wired network that includes a windows box and possibly laptops and a wireless network that posisbly has laptops; mac, windows and linux laptops) behind one address, with nat etc.

all works fine, but took a fair amount of configuring over the years.
posted by andrew cooke at 5:22 AM on April 4, 2004

You could either use a router that also acts as a firewall, or enable sharing on the Win 2003 box and use it as your gateway. We use an ADSL Router at work that has a built-in firmware firewall and which maintains a permanent connection to the web, then allocates internal IP addresses as a DHCP server and this has worked pretty well for us, with minimal configuration required and next to no problems.
posted by dg at 7:28 PM on April 4, 2004

« Older Freeware/shareware VCD player for Mac?   |   Are US t-shirt sizes the same as in NZ or the UK? Newer »