Norwich Market

How do I go about getting a stall at a market in the UK, specifically Norwich market? Any experiences to share regarding working a market stall anywhere in the UK?

I'm moving to Norwich this fall for various reasons, and a friend and I would love to try setting up a market stall at the big market there. Our idea would be to sell crepes and other French and international delicacies, all vegetarian.

Is this idea at all practical? I know at Camden market in London, you can supposedly get a stall easily and there are tons of food stalls with choices from around the world - but we can't move to London. So is it practical in Norwich? What kind of regulations and red-tape would we be looking at if we tried to do this? Will there be any stalls available? Is there a better place within commuting distance to try this - a shack at a popular seaside day-trip destination, a road-side stall, or another market to try?
posted by hazyjane to Food & Drink (4 answers total)

I've tried it, and it died a horrible death. Location is everything, you're completely reliant on passing trade. DO NOT go for a cheaper pitch in a quieter area. Get public liability insurance (there's a street trader's federation that will do it for around 60/year, I think).
posted by Leon at 6:16 AM on May 15, 2007

Usually I think you apply to the council. Norwich is a grreat market but you might have trouble getting a pitch. There's a vacancy for a food stall at Diss, I hear, but it's only a Saturday thing.
posted by Phanx at 7:20 AM on May 15, 2007

Call Norwich council and tell them what you want to do, and they should send you an information pack with prices etc. as well as hopefully give you a little informal advice over the phone about whether you'll get a pitch or not. Whoever you speak to at the council will doubtless know far more about all this than us.

There's a slightly hard-to-find page on the market here.
posted by reklaw at 7:47 AM on May 15, 2007

hard-to-find page

I'll take that as a compliment.
posted by Phanx at 8:18 AM on May 15, 2007

« Older Quotes on a Pyrrhic Victories.   |   Dynamically save automagically generated word... Newer »