My Funny Proxy, I Don't Find You Funny

According to the new Bluebook (a manual of legal citation), how do you cite to a proxy statement? I only have the Seventeenth Edition handy, but I know there is a new Rule 14.6(e) that explains this in the Eighteenth Edition. I need to figure this out before sundown, so if anyone has their Bluebook near by, would you mind cluing me in?
posted by Falconetti to Law & Government (5 answers total)

Best answer: From the 18th ed:

"FOr annual reports, proxy statements... provide the name of the company (abbreviated according to rule 15.1(d)), the title as given in the document, the form type in parentheses, the page number if applicable, and the full date of filing with the SEC:

Coca-Cola Co., Annual Report (Form 10-K), at 22 (Feb. 27, 2004).

If citing... proxy statements... in a form other than that filed with the SEC, treat as books under rule 15:

COCA COLA CO., 2003 SUMMARY ANNUAL REPORT 7 (2004).

[ed.: in small caps]

good luck
posted by craven_morhead at 1:23 PM on May 9, 2007

Response by poster: Wow, thanks for the quick response. I found myself without any resources and having to fix an old article quickly and this was the only sticking point. Thanks again!
posted by Falconetti at 1:29 PM on May 9, 2007

No problem. I've got one more final to go, a week of relaxation, and then I get to get started on my write-on for law review. May as well warm up the bluebooking muscles.
posted by craven_morhead at 2:47 PM on May 9, 2007

Wow and people had to ASK in another question what the bad aspects of being a lawyer are...
posted by bunnycup at 6:23 PM on May 9, 2007

posted by craven_morhead at 4:47 PM on May 9

Good luck with that, the final and the write-on. I was on the Executive Board of my law review as senior articles editor and had to read the 75 or so submissions from write-ons. My unsolicited advice on the topic would be to (1) have unimpeachable blue-booking and (2) write on an interesting topic. It there are blue-book errors, I threw those right out. That left me with a still over-whelming amount of papers to review. Short, clear sentences written about an interesting topic were the ones that got noticed by me. Dense, wordy articles about something I didn't know/care about made my eyes glaze over. I found the people who wrote on to be the most valuable members of my staff when it came time to work on the issues. If there any questions you have, feel free to email me.
posted by dios at 8:33 AM on May 14, 2007

« Older How can I play video on my airport network?   |   How can I optimize my computer, or any computer... Newer »