Give me the boot!

Where to buy hiking boots between IA and OH?

I am in need of some new boots for backpacking. We are not super intense hikers (1 week trip, once a year), but I like to have nice gear. Here in Cedar Rapids, IA, none of our local sporting goods stores has much selection for decent hiking boots (Gander Mountain, Dick's sporting goods, etc). I'm going on a vacation in OH next week, and I'd like to have my new boots for it, so I can break them in before a longer backpacking trip next month. Looking to spend between $100-$200

So, as long as I am traveling through some larger cities, I figure I might as well try to stop and get some boots on the way. I'll be driving through the Quad Cities, Peoria, Champaign/Urbana, Indianapolis, Dayton, and Columbus

Any good shops that are worth stopping for? Big Box chains ok, but would love to hear of smaller shops with salespeople that really know what their doing fitting boots.
posted by jpdoane to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (3 answers total)

The Rocky Outlet Store in Nelsonville is awesome, although it may be further south than you're prepared to go, around 60 miles south of Columbus.
posted by essexjan at 3:35 AM on April 29, 2007

You might be able to find a Cabela's near where you are going. There's one in southern Michigan and some in Wisconsin.

Also, try Gander Mountain.

I second the Rocky Outlet Store, though. It's the best. Go there even if you already own boots!
posted by billtron at 7:07 AM on April 29, 2007

In Ohio, if you want to go to Cincinnati (about 45min from dayton), I can recommend Benchmark Outfitters for boot fitting. They do know their stuff, but you may be spending closer to your $200 limit.
posted by dicaxpuella at 9:19 AM on April 29, 2007

« Older Looking for a good camera bag.   |   Keeping a four leaf clover forever? Newer »