Can you help me convert .PSP to .PSD?

A client sent me his company's logos in .PSP (Paint Shop Pro) format, however I am on a Mac and would like to edit them in Photoshop. I need a program that will convert .PSP to .PSD, while maintaining the original layers in the .PSP file. I don't want to have to manually remove all of the white space surrounding the logo, so keeping the layers intact is very important. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Alternatively, a free graphics editor that I could use to edit the .PSP file on OS X would be great for hiding the "white background" layer and saving the image for use in Photoshop, but I understand that finding something for free is pretty unlikely.
posted by teem to Media & Arts (9 answers total)

Graphicconvertor . You can use an evaluation copy for free, but it's worth the 35 bucks.
posted by jeremias at 6:36 AM on March 29, 2004

I was going to recommend the free-as-in-$35-shareware GraphicConverter, but it seems to only import .PSP files and does not have the ability to export back to .PSP. But that may be a start, anyway. Complete list of supported filetypes here.
posted by emelenjr at 6:42 AM on March 29, 2004

Or you could always ask your client to save a copy as a psd file.
posted by tonelesscereal at 6:45 AM on March 29, 2004

I'm thinking a client who submits a file in Paint Shop Pro format might not own Photoshop, but I could be wrong.
posted by emelenjr at 6:52 AM on March 29, 2004

But PSP can save a file as a PSD.
posted by jpoulos at 7:12 AM on March 29, 2004

Jeremias: Are you 100% certain that GraphicConverter will keep the layers intact? I have tried GraphicConverter, but when I opened up the newly-created .PSD file in Photoshop, there was only one "Background" layer.

It's possible the that the .PSP file doesn't even have multiple layers, so if you're certain that GraphicConverter will keep the layers intact then I can just assume that the .PSP file only has one layer and that I can forget trying to convert the file and get to work on painstakingly making the background transparent :S
posted by teem at 7:33 AM on March 29, 2004

teem: Upload a sample file somewhere, if at all possible, and one of us with Paint Shop Pro can confirm whether it's multiple layers or not.

jpoulos is correct in his assertion that PSP can save Photoshop PSD files (as far back as version 5; now on version 8) including layer transparency. Earlier versions had no support for the CMYK color space, so this may present problems if you're attempting to use the images for print.
posted by Danelope at 8:25 AM on March 29, 2004

Here's a sample (almost 1MB in size). By the way, I take no responsibility for the quality of the logo ;)
posted by teem at 2:22 PM on March 29, 2004

There's one layer and a floating selection, and it's a PSP 8 file. The floating selection is only one of the three logos on the image.
posted by Orb at 5:55 PM on March 29, 2004

« Older Angelfire websites are teh suck...   |   Is there a cheap/free source for super cool... Newer »