Lexis-Nexis pay as you go?
April 11, 2007 8:37 AM   Subscribe

How do I get access to Lexis Nexis / Quicklaw for a one-shot search?

I need to get hold of court documents for a particular civil case which is currently being heard in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice. I don't have any standing or any contacts with the parties, but I do have an interest in the outcome. I have one of the summary judgements but I would like to get hold of the statement of claim, statements of defence and the supporting affidavits which I assume are available.

I'm pretty sure they are available on Quicklaw but I don't have an account and it doesn't seem worth setting up an account for a one-shot search like this. But Lexis-Nexis doesn't seem to offer a pay-as-you-go option, so how do I do this?

Is there some service whereby you can pay someone else to do a quicklaw search for you? Alternatively, is there someone on AskMe with Quicklaw access who could obtain the documents and who I could reimburse (assuming this is allowed under the TOS)?

Thanks for any help.
posted by sweet mister to Law & Government (13 answers total)
I'd suggest going to a college campus computer lab. They should provide that for free.
posted by limeonaire at 8:43 AM on April 11, 2007

A lot of college campuses have unlimited access to LexisNexis.

Your e-mail isn't in your profile.
posted by fogster at 8:44 AM on April 11, 2007

I believe Lexis does offer an pay as you go option. I have no idea how useful it will be for you, though.
posted by dilettante at 8:45 AM on April 11, 2007

Do you have a public library card? Go check that homepage and look for 'databases'.
posted by lilithim at 8:47 AM on April 11, 2007

Definitely go to your closest University library. Most will offer courtesy cards to community members. If the University closest to you doesn't do this, or if you don't live close enough to a university to be considered a community member, then try very politely bothering a reference librarian or clerk who doesn't look busy. Explain your situation, and he or she just might help you find the information you're looking for and print it out for you. I know I would have been happy to do this for a nice friendly person when I worked as a reference assistant in a university library.
posted by Wroksie at 8:56 AM on April 11, 2007

Check your local library/librarian. Unless you just have some kind of desire to spend money on this, you shouldn't have to.
posted by cashman at 8:59 AM on April 11, 2007

Response by poster: Your e-mail isn't in your profile.

is now... thanks
posted by sweet mister at 9:00 AM on April 11, 2007

I've used the a la carte option. works well, and is reasonably cheap. You get to search for free and only pay for the results you want to download full text of.
posted by cosmicbandito at 9:01 AM on April 11, 2007

If you just need one thing, I can send it to you. Email is in the profile.
posted by k8t at 9:32 AM on April 11, 2007

Use your credit card.
posted by caddis at 11:05 AM on April 11, 2007

Response by poster: Unfortunatey the PAYG stuff does not seem to cover Canada.
posted by sweet mister at 11:32 AM on April 11, 2007

Usually the best way to get the pleadings is to contact the court clerk. Services like Lexis are more for opinions.
posted by caddis at 11:55 AM on April 11, 2007

Lexis/QL doesn't have statements of claim, defense, etc. Pleadings are public docs, though, so Caddis is right -- go the OSC's office.
posted by girlpublisher at 12:24 PM on April 11, 2007

« Older Need me some writin' samples.   |   What fonts were used in the poster for the movie... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.