Where can I find a display cage for our mice?
April 5, 2007 10:31 AM   Subscribe

So I'm looking for a huge display cage with multiple smaller rodent cages inside of it. Like the ones you see at PetSmart. Anyone "in the industry" know what these are called and/or where someone could find one? (pictures inside).

Are they custom made for the stores? I found this one while on eBay, but the seller ended the auction early apparently due to finding a local buyer. 12 hours before the auction ended.

I'm willing to pay to have them shipped no problem, but who makes these bad boys?

posted by jdgdotnet to Grab Bag (6 answers total)
So apparently the images don't quite work...

they're on flickr, too.

posted by jdgdotnet at 10:51 AM on April 5, 2007

They look like lab cages. A lab supplier will carry them.
posted by oneirodynia at 11:19 AM on April 5, 2007

I did a quick Google search for 'pet store fixtures' and found these, which start at around $1700.

I don't know about Wichita, but you might be able to find some used ones at a store specializing in used retail fixtures. I'm sure there's one in KC and/or Tulsa.
posted by Atom12 at 12:06 PM on April 5, 2007

FYI, the img tag doesn't work anywhere on MetaFilter. See this MeTa post for details.
posted by solotoro at 12:16 PM on April 5, 2007

oneirodynia - good point! We found a few lab suppliers after you mentioned it and I'm waiting on a follow-up email from them about pricing now.

Atom12 - great find! I'm not familiar with the retail world whatsoever, "fixtures" would have never crossed my mind.

solotoro - ahh, makes sense. :)
posted by jdgdotnet at 12:29 PM on April 5, 2007

If anyone is interested later on...


Companion Habitats manufacturers all of the PetSmart display fixtures, which is exactly what we're looking for.

Thanks MeFi!
posted by jdgdotnet at 12:41 PM on April 5, 2007

« Older If you tech me how to build it, they will come...   |   Do my homework as a polite and interested reader Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.