What kind of tripod mount ring do I need for a Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens

What kind of tripod mount ring do I need for a Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens? I bought a used lens, but it's missing the tripod collar mount ring. It looks like Canon makes a few different mount rings, and I can't figure out which one I need for this particular lens. Does anybody know? Even better, if you know where I can get one on the cheap. If there's an off-brand solution out there, I don't care who makes it as long as it fits my lens and works well.
posted by willnot to Shopping (8 answers total)

Canon support will know the mount type: Call 1-800-828-4040 .
posted by fake at 2:43 PM on April 2, 2007

...failing that, call B&H Photo Video in NYC at 800.606.6969 or 212.444.6615 or send them an email
posted by seawallrunner at 7:48 PM on April 2, 2007

Or ask in the discussion boards at this Flickr group dedicated specifically to that lens, or the slightly more general Canon EF lenses group.
posted by matildaben at 8:58 PM on April 2, 2007

That lens comes with the following when purchased new:

• 77mm Snap-On Lens Cap
• Lens Dust Cap E (Rear)
• ET-83C Lens Hood
• Tripod Mount Ring B
• Lens Case LZ1324
posted by seymour.skinner at 9:12 PM on April 2, 2007

... It has IS... do you really need a tripod? :)
posted by bugmuncher at 6:42 AM on April 3, 2007

I believe it is the Canon Tripod Mount Ring B(W). I don't think you can but buy the white version directly, only the black version. They are exactly the same. Stupid, I know. Maybe try contacting Canon directly if you want the white version.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=194450&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
posted by scooby at 8:24 AM on April 3, 2007

Here's a slightly cheaper used one. KEH is very reputable.
posted by scooby at 8:37 AM on April 3, 2007

Canon's support line was able to get me hooked up, and even took my order. I had tried looking on the Canon web site, but for some reason it never occurred to me to call and speak to an actual person, so thanks.
posted by willnot at 11:20 AM on April 3, 2007

« Older Time for a new set of teeth?   |   Housing market crystal ball? Newer »