ClassicMacFilter: What's the name of that typing/track-and-field game?

When I was in middle school, I played a typing game on a black-and-white, all-in-one Macintosh, either a Mac Plus or a Mac Classic. This game taught me typing so well that I want to share it with a friend of mine, using a Mac Plus emulator if necessary.

What I distinctly remember about this game is the hurdles. The game would give you a sentence, and if you made a mistake typing it, your runner would trip over the hurdles. The faster you typed, the faster your runner would reach the finish line.

Does anyone in the hive mind remember playing this typing game? What was it called?
posted by LightStruk to Computers & Internet (11 answers total)

I remember playing that.

I know I used a very early version of Mavis Beacon Teaches Touch Typing, so that could be it, although I may have used other tutors too.

It was, as you say, an incredibly good way of learning to type FAST.
posted by unSane at 7:25 AM on April 1, 2007

I think I remember this from Mavis Beacon as well, that's what I used about 15 years ago.
posted by shinynewnick at 7:58 AM on April 1, 2007

Best answer: Type! by Br248;derbund.

Loved it!
posted by thejoshu at 8:29 AM on April 1, 2007

Well, that didn't quite work (though it did in the live preview): Broderbund.
posted by thejoshu at 8:30 AM on April 1, 2007

All the right type?
posted by ori at 8:31 AM on April 1, 2007

Type!

that's how i learned, in elementary school. ah, memories.
posted by timory at 9:10 AM on April 1, 2007

A bit unrelated, but I rememeber a game that had you type to drive a racecar - the faster you typed, the faster the car moved. When you made a mistake, a bug splattered on your windshield.
posted by sherlockt at 6:18 PM on April 1, 2007

sherlockt that is definately Mavis Beacon. I know because I just typed this at 53 wpm and have a certificate from her school to prove it.
posted by DOUBLE A SIDE at 1:20 AM on April 2, 2007

Man I remember jamming on the space bar as fast as I could. It was called Type!
posted by chunking express at 6:43 AM on April 2, 2007

Type! and Mavis Beacon are two separate programs. Type! had the hurdles, I remember playing that at school in our Mac Lab. Mavis had the racecar.
posted by radioamy at 10:13 AM on April 2, 2007

Response by poster: My google-foo is failing me, because Type! isn't exactly an uncommon word, even when paired with search terms like macintosh, system 6, classic, and education.

Thanks for the tips, though, everyone!
posted by LightStruk at 9:12 AM on April 3, 2007

« Older I need a miracle.   |   Shoo Pink Eye Dont Bother Me Newer »