How can my Jewish girlfriend and I find a family to have a Passover Seder with in Bordeaux, France?

My girlfriend and I are studying in France for a semester, and we will be in Bordeaux on April 2nd, the first day of Passover. She wants to see if we can join a Jewish family for Seder that evening. It's really important to her. The problem is, we don't know a single soul in Bordeaux, and the temples in Bordeaux are charging more than our backpackers' wallets can afford for a Seder ceremony.

How can we find a Jewish family for this year's Passover in Bordeaux? Bonus points if you can tell us how to find a Jewish reform family!
posted by jordanian2 to Religion & Philosophy (6 answers total)

You could contact the temple's Sister or Brotherhood, though they might just refer to you the temple's dinner. You could also try explaining your situation to the temple and ask if you can pay a reduced/student rate, such as $X (have a rate in mind and suggest it). Also, perhaps there are professors in the program that would be happy to host you if you ask around.
posted by ml98tu at 11:33 AM on March 29, 2007

the temples in Bordeaux are charging more than our backpackers' wallets can afford for a Seder ceremony.

Every Reform temple I have ever personally come into contact with has let students come to events for free. And generally I would expect such things to be available on a sliding scale to people who couldn't afford them, regardless of student status.

So what I would do is talk to someone at a local congregation (you seem to already know how to find them) and tell them you can't afford to pay that much, and ask if they know any local families that might host you. I'd really be shocked if they refused to help you even find a family.

If you're in Bordeaux tomorrow you could always just go to services and see if someone will offer.
posted by grouse at 11:34 AM on March 29, 2007

are you jewish as well? try chabad if yes.

google for chabad in your area
posted by Izzmeister at 11:37 AM on March 29, 2007

Turning people away from a Seder because they can't afford it? Whoever heard of such a crazy thing? I'd go straight to the Rabbi on this one.

If nothing else works, you could just show up outside where they're having the Seder, wait for the part where they say "Let all who are hungry come eat" (it's towards the beginning I think), and then mosey on in. Seriously, I'm pretty sure you cannot be turned away from a Seder.
posted by SBMike at 3:52 PM on March 29, 2007

I also second Chabad. It might not exactly be with a family in their home, but Chabad houses are generally extremely welcoming and warm places. (Very Orthodox, mind you, but friendly.)
posted by chickletworks at 6:11 PM on March 29, 2007

Third chabad, if you don't mind an EXTREMELY Orthodox experience that will last until 2 or 3 in the morning. It'll be free and very, very welcoming.
posted by callmejay at 10:19 AM on March 30, 2007

« Older Recognize these choral music lyrics?   |   Who took this grayscale photo of a woman's back? Newer »