Shrink my shoes?
March 24, 2007 2:03 PM   Subscribe

How can I make a pair of slightly larger shoes fit?

I bought a pair of sketchers, which are about a size too big for me. They are slip-ons and are loose when I wear them. Is there anything I can stuff at the tip to make them fit, or other ways I can make a pair of oversized shoes fit? I really like these shoes and can't return them, so I want to make do with what I have.
posted by lpctstr; to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
Get a good insert for the sole. That will help if the extra length isn't too great.
posted by Taken Outtacontext at 2:18 PM on March 24, 2007

I second inserts. Is there a shoe store in your area that sells a lot of Doc Martens? Since they don't have half sizes in most of their shoes, many stores carry inserts that are designed specifically to take about a half size off the shoe.
posted by peep at 2:26 PM on March 24, 2007

Buy thicker socks or wear 2 pairs.
posted by fire&wings at 2:26 PM on March 24, 2007

Slip ons are tough but I'd also say put in really thick insoles. I also used to put them in my Doc's.
posted by radioamy at 3:09 PM on March 24, 2007

I took a pair of shoes nearly a full size too big to a shoe repair shop and they inserted (and glued) little half-moon shaped thingies on the inside heels (falling just below my Achilles tendons) and that worked well. Until they fell off (maybe six months later). I had previously tried those inserts that cover the bottom of the shoe (like Dr. Scholl's) but they made my heel slip out.
posted by kitmandu at 3:36 PM on March 24, 2007

Besides the heel pads that kitmandu mentioned, I also use regular Dr. Scholl's pads -- the ones that you cut to size to line the entire footbed.
posted by wryly at 7:25 PM on March 24, 2007

« Older How to style my moustache   |   Honeymoon Help! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.