Help me find a carpenter in NY

Anyone know of a reliable carpenter to make two built-in cabinets for a New York (Upper West Side) apartment? Thanks!
posted by walla to Home & Garden (8 answers total)

I believe you're looking for not a carpenter, but a cabinet maker.
My dad worked for a time as a cabinet maker and says there's a difference between the two vocations (matters of precision and scale), so the person you're looking for might not be advertising as a carpenter.
posted by lostburner at 3:18 PM on March 19, 2007

That may be, lostburner - this is probably a pretty simple cabinet, so maybe it could be either? Do you or your dad have any recommendations in NY?
posted by walla at 3:23 PM on March 19, 2007

I have the number of someone who did the shelves inside closets and the pantry for my friend's apartment, if you'd like to drop me an email. I'm not sure whether he does cabinets.
posted by dame at 3:54 PM on March 19, 2007

Sorry, he practiced long ago in San Diego. Neither of us live on the East Coast.
posted by lostburner at 4:28 PM on March 19, 2007

Email me. I may know a guy.
posted by mds35 at 7:41 PM on March 19, 2007

i would try to find local yahoo groups or resources like urbantherapy or brownstoner.com for something like this rather than ask.
posted by alkupe at 8:53 PM on March 19, 2007

apartmenttherapy.com is a great website for new yorkers. they have lists of vendors, and they periodically (like once or twice a week) have an open thread where you can ask questions just like this.
posted by thinkingwoman at 9:10 PM on March 19, 2007

Thanks for your help, everyone! We should definitely be able to find someone now.
posted by walla at 11:18 AM on March 20, 2007

« Older Dear God, I think I broke my weiner somehow.   |   Help me get a date with a girl 7 years younger Newer »