Heated probes?
March 14, 2007 4:05 PM   Subscribe

The "heated probes" on the outside of airplanes - the ones that you're not supposed to step on - what are they for? Why are they heated?

I've gotten on hundreds of airplanes and have seen these on a flight today it dawned on me that I have no idea what they're for. Google doesn't really help. Any amateur or professional pilots want to shed some light on the subject?
posted by scblackman to Travel & Transportation (4 answers total)
Best answer: Pitot tubes.
posted by matty at 4:10 PM on March 14, 2007

also, they are heated so they don't ice over.
posted by matty at 4:11 PM on March 14, 2007

the ones under the aircraft are drain masts, also heated, where liquids poured down galley and lavatory sinks are evacuated.
posted by dawdle at 4:59 PM on March 14, 2007

and on some military aircraft, those drain masts drain some 'additional liquids' from the lavatory (or equivalent thereof). :)
posted by matty at 5:04 PM on March 14, 2007

« Older How to fix this icon?   |   I've lost my confidence in academic endeavors. Can... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.