Nip Tuck UK
March 10, 2007 10:01 AM   Subscribe

How do I go about having cosmetic surgery in the UK?

Do I need to go to an NHS GP first to be "referred"? Or do I just look in the phone book? Is there a register of reputable surgeons?

Nothing serious - eye bags
posted by A189Nut to Health & Fitness (3 answers total)
Call a plastic surgeon and ask?
posted by dash_slot- at 1:10 PM on March 10, 2007

The British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons would probably be a good place to start.
posted by Luddite at 2:01 PM on March 10, 2007

Oh, and in answer to your specific question;

Do I need to be referred by my General Practitioner?

We strongly support the view of the General Medical Council that all patients should be referred by their GP or another consultant. You should therefore approach your GP for referral letter. This to protect the interests of the patient. Your GP will know the specialists in their areas and will be in the best position to choose the one most appropriate to your problem. In addition, you will be able to tell the surgeon of relevant medical treatment and past medical histories so that these can be taken into account. Sometimes patients do not realise that a particular medical problem which they might have suffered fro in the past, could increase the risks involved in an operation.

posted by Luddite at 2:02 PM on March 10, 2007

« Older Is all hacking illegal?   |   Whoops! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.