Console cats!

When I was growing up in Russia, one of my friends had a nifty 2D console (at least NES-era, possibly better) that we played every now and then. In one of his games (a side-scroller), you controlled several humanoid cats, each with a different body shape, color, and speciality. I'm fairly certain that one of them could dig.

Unfortunately, that's pretty much all I remember, save for a large-headed sideways-moving creature that had musical notes or bubles floating above its head -- but that might've been from a different game. I also faintly recall a boss stage in which the boss (positioned at the top of the screen) dropped spider-like creature onto the player at the bottom of the screen, and into pits which the player may or may not have dug.

Ring any bells?
posted by archagon to Media & Arts (6 answers total)

Bubble bobble? Sounds wrong. What year are you talking about? "When I was growing up..." Jeez, can't you people be a little more specific? :>
posted by phaedon at 11:43 AM on March 5, 2007

There was a NES game based on Samurai Pizza Cats. Here's a video of one of its levels.
posted by owenkun at 11:46 AM on March 5, 2007

No, it's not Bubble Bobble.
Year = ~1990.
posted by archagon at 11:49 AM on March 5, 2007

Nice find, owenkun! That may very well be it.
posted by archagon at 11:52 AM on March 5, 2007

Cool, I hope so. Samurai Pizza Cats was an anime first, it was on TV in the US back when I was still in school.

Given that it's originally from Japan, you may want to search for its title there, Kyattou Ninden Teyande.
posted by owenkun at 11:55 AM on March 5, 2007

The TV series.
posted by Steven C. Den Beste at 1:26 PM on March 5, 2007

« Older Help me find a recliner I saw on a Restoril...   |   What do I wear to my evening wedding? Newer »