Recommend a Windows-based web server for my intranet

What is an easy-to-install fairly secure Windows-based Webserver that I can use to show some static pages (so, no scripting needed) in an intranet. Non-IIS.
posted by vacapinta to Computers & Internet (19 answers total)

I'd recommend Apache. I've had good luck with it.
posted by pizzasub at 2:17 PM on March 11, 2004

I like the very tiny and very simple BRS WebWeaver.
posted by skryche at 2:22 PM on March 11, 2004

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "fairly secure", but TinyWeb is a basic Web server with a Win32 binary totalling 53KB.
posted by Danelope at 2:22 PM on March 11, 2004

I'm not sure what I meant either. These are the suggestions I was looking for though.

Apache is a bit of overkill. I just want to post a few static html documents so that 1-2 people can see them from their browser. Maybe what I meant by 'fairly secure' is that the default configuration would not allow those same users to start poking around in other directories on my machine...
posted by vacapinta at 2:29 PM on March 11, 2004

i recommend zope, it's really easy to use, and if you want to get fancy with it you can.
it takes about 2 minutes to install and get running.
posted by dolface at 2:57 PM on March 11, 2004

Just curious: why not IIS?
posted by timeistight at 2:59 PM on March 11, 2004

Apache installs pretty easily on windows nowadays, and really doesn't suck up much in the way of resources.

Microsoft used to have something called "Personal Web Server" for just such needs back in the NT days -- but they appear to have killed it. IIS or nothing from them nowadays, I guess.
posted by malphigian at 3:00 PM on March 11, 2004

Xitami maybe?
posted by perplexed at 3:01 PM on March 11, 2004

Xitami was my first webserver. No problems with it, serves up files right good. Not too limited, but installs easily. Open source, too, for that fuzzy feeling in your tummy.
posted by whatnotever at 3:07 PM on March 11, 2004

IIS is notoriously insecure. I'll third Apache.
posted by waxpancake at 3:07 PM on March 11, 2004

Call me extremely dense, but if it's an intranet, why not just put your static pages on a server on the LAN? You can secure access to directories with file system permissions. As long as everything has relative links, it will all just work. Who needs a web server?

(Although: what do you mean by secure? Are you worried about packet sniffers, in which case a web server and SSL would help, or are you just concerned to lock down access to restricted areas a bit? And word to the wise, watch your search engine doesn't accidentally reveal your non-public stuff).
posted by i_am_joe's_spleen at 3:10 PM on March 11, 2004

phptriad will install apache, php and MySQL all in one package.
posted by Hackworth at 5:09 PM on March 11, 2004

I hunted around for a minimal web server for a while as well. I ended trying most of those mentioned in this thread. I ended up using Apache since it wasn't anywhere near as hard to install as I imagined, and worked better than anything else.

Good luck.
posted by phatboy at 5:21 PM on March 11, 2004

Sambar Server is good, IMO.
posted by signal at 5:49 PM on March 11, 2004

Apache. Secretly, you don't need to edit httpd.conf files and everything, just run the windows installer to setup your directories and other info. The memory footprint on my system is 2MB.
posted by Jairus at 6:03 PM on March 11, 2004

You didn't mention includes or logging. If you don't need those (and you already said no scripting) then I'd ask the same question joe's_spleen did: why a web server?
posted by TimeFactor at 6:03 PM on March 11, 2004

Apache. Xitami has very few advantages over Apache, and I actually (somehow) found it marginally harder to configure, but the difficulty with both is negligible.
posted by abcde at 6:10 PM on March 11, 2004

Try WAMP. It is a Windows + Apache + MySQL + PHP all in an easy window's installer. I have used this in a development situation for people who just have to use Windows. It really is easy enough, that anyone can install and configure. Just drop all of your files into the htdocs folder, and you will be fine. And you could add htdocs as a mapped drive, and it could be really easy.
posted by plemeljr at 8:13 AM on March 12, 2004

I've found BadBlue easy to install and amazingly lightweight.
posted by filmgoerjuan at 10:57 AM on March 13, 2004

« Older Jaw Pain   |   Computer Lifecycles Newer »