Recommendations for ping-pong paddles?

What ping-pong paddles should I buy?

I need to buy 4 ping-pong paddles for my house. Budget is $70. Obviously I want the best possible paddles for this price. I realize this isn't that much money, as these things go, but please don't suggest anything more expensive. Thanks!
posted by number9dream to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Most larger sporting goods stores, like Dick’s, sell rackets in packs of 2 or 4. These are usually really cheap, probably around $20 or $30. Unless you’re buying your own personal racket, don’t spend much, because community rackets will be mistreated.
posted by ijoshua at 6:59 PM on February 26, 2007

You should be able to stay out of the bottom of the barrel and get 4 "recreation" class paddles from a decent brand like Donic or Yasaka while still staying easily within your price range. Check out megaspin.net; I have no affiliation other than being a satisfied customer, and they ship for free in the US on orders over $50.
posted by kanuck at 7:11 PM on February 26, 2007 [1 favorite]

You can easily put together a set of four decent paddles from the aforementioned megaspin or butterfly for that money.

Do keep in mind though that rec room paddles get used up quickly. Something about wacking a little round ball brings out the latent aggression in people.
If $70 is the top of your budget, you might be better off keeping some in reserve for the inevitable replacements.
posted by madajb at 8:30 PM on February 26, 2007

« Older Protecting a fridge in the great outdoors   |   Annyong ha shimnikka Newer »