Sound Blaster Audigy 2 platinum question

Would you consider a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 platinum a prosumer sound card, as far as audio playback is concerned?

Playing through a machine that is properly grounded with AKG-240 headphones, of course.
posted by Keyser Soze to Computers & Internet (3 answers total)

I wouldn't really consider most internal sound cards to be prosumer unelss the card has a shield to protect it from the noise and electronic interferance inside the case.

when looking for a cheap(ish) prosumer sound card for basic audio editing i found this nice edirol ua30 that i quite liked - nice and quiet with digital ins and outs as well as analog.

I use Emagic's a26 now, which is more expensive, but also more robust and has more line outs.

both of these "cards" are breakout boxes that connect to the computer via usb.
posted by soplerfo at 4:45 AM on March 10, 2004

for audio *playback* i think it's probably excellent. i don't know if it qualifies for the term prosumer since i think that term is more meaningful for creating and editing music (that's a subjective opinion i suppose, but if you're just listening to music, what's professional about it?). the audigy is good for that too, but other cards are better, partly for the reasons soplerfo mentions.
posted by edlundart at 5:27 AM on March 10, 2004

Prosumer, maybe. Certainly not professional-grade.

I'm also a fan of Emagic, although I prefer M-Audio's line of breakout boxes and PCI audio cards. Better shielding than the Audigy2, less noise, etc., etc...

Also, you might want to get a good headphone amplifier. I find that PC sound cards (expecting powered speakers) don't have nearly enough power to properly drive my AKG-240s. A headphone amp would do more good for your sound than upgrading from an Audigy to an Emagic/M-Audio would.
posted by Jairus at 6:11 AM on March 10, 2004

« Older How can I play DRM protected media without the DRM...   |   Wha' Happened? Newer »