Woman issues- what type of specialist?

Girl medical problems-- I'll try to make it brief

About 3 weeks ago I started having urinary type problems- if I was a guy I would say I had a prostate problem. Trouble maintaining stream- excessive pressure to make it come out. I also have kinda weird sharp pains and bloated stomach. Also having to go immediately after drinking and then it isnt very satifying. No burning but still kind of felt like I had to go. Then I had some pain in my lower back. [For about a week I had been trying to drink alot of water and pure cranberry juice in case.] Thought maybe kidney or something so I called my doctor said maybe I had some type of infection and saw her for an exam and told her all my symptoms and attempt to clear up with H20 and cran)
I went and peed in a cup as directed and they said no problems and she told me to come back in April for my regular yearly. [side note period was about 4 days late at that time and I am normally like clock work]
Well fast forward a week. I have very unusual period. Normally I have very bright red flow at beginning of period turning a darker brown.
This time about week and a half late. very very light flow but thick brown. nothing for like a day then light brown. Then I pass large clots, bleed bright red and have lots of cramping. NOthing for a day. Same thing again. Nothign for a day. Now today I pass large clot with blood. The sharp (but not severe) pains havent let up.
So today- still belly is big and bloated, pain and weird urinary symptoms. I called Doctor and left message. I know she'll want to see me instead of a specialist but I prefer to get referred elsewhere. Who do I push for- a urologist or a gyno? [pregnacy/miscarraige is a possiblity- had been trying for a year with no luck]
posted by anonymous to Health & Fitness (12 answers total)

See a urogynaecologist, who can consider, and deal with, all the possibilities.
posted by roofus at 8:46 AM on February 20, 2007

Do you already have an ob/gyn? I'd make an appointment to see him/her, or go to Planned Parenthood if your doctor can't squeeze you in right away.

IANAD, but since your urine was tested and nothing seemed wrong, it seems like this might be more related to your reproductive system, so I think it is a good move to go to see an ob/gyn right away.
posted by tastybrains at 8:57 AM on February 20, 2007

Depends on what they tested for. The change in your menstruation is enough for further investigation. Gynae
posted by Wilder at 9:09 AM on February 20, 2007

Gynecologist. Don't wait too long.
posted by ikkyu2 at 9:11 AM on February 20, 2007

It could be endometriosis, which could also explain why there hasn't been any luck in getting pregnant after a year of trying. Here's a link:
posted by Elaisa at 9:13 AM on February 20, 2007

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/print/ency/article/000915.htm
posted by Elaisa at 9:14 AM on February 20, 2007

If nothing came back in a urine test, it seems obvious that the next step is a gynecologist, especially since your period was so different.
posted by Sprout the Vulgarian at 9:15 AM on February 20, 2007

It sounds like an ectopic pregnancy to me. The sharp pains, bloating, and odd bleeding are indicative. Read more.

I would strongly recommend that you see an OB/GYN today or tomorrow at the latest. When talking to the doctor, I would de-emphasize the bladder problems (which gets you shunted into the doctor's "bladder infection" mindset) and emphasize the sharp pains, bloating, and abnormal bleeding.
posted by jellicle at 9:39 AM on February 20, 2007

Go to the emergency room. You may have to wait but you'll get a full work up.
posted by TorontoSandy at 9:45 AM on February 20, 2007

Second on "IANAD but my very first thought was ectopic pregnancy." If you're having one, it sounds like it's in the early stages ( < 6 weeks), which is why your UA might not have revealed it three weeks ago. You should get a specialist to see you ASAP. Definitely ask for a gyn referral and make an appointment today.
posted by pineapple at 10:46 AM on February 20, 2007

yes, request a referral to a gynaecologist. stick to your guns. our bladders, urethras and urological performance are compromised by abdominal pressure. your gynaecological symptoms are primary. cheers
posted by de at 12:04 PM on February 20, 2007

No, you won't. You may get a decent work-up, but just as likely you'll get a cursory exam, get ruled out for STD's, and sent home.

Seconded, although it's less clear that this is urgent. One way to get things started is to ask your PCP to contact the Gyn personally. Specialists will routinely work more acute patients into their day as a courtesy to the referring doc.
posted by docpops at 12:26 PM on February 20, 2007

« Older Help me repair a bent pin in a CF slot?   |   Better bulb for those halogen torchieres? Newer »