A 1940's movie about three struggling career women?

OldMovieFilter: I'm trying to find a movie I saw a while back. It was from either the 1940's or 1950's. It was about three women trying to make it in a new city...

It followed all their struggles as they worked to find jobs, endured sexual harassment from their bosses, endured heartbreak. It was very moving. Ultimately the message of the movie seemed to be that women have it especially tough in this world.

I saw it I think on late-night TV in the mid 90's. The channel may have been AMC (American Movie Classics) but I'm not sure. It was in early color and I dont think any of the three main actresses were super-famous. They may have been three housemates in the movie. Thats all I got. Help?
posted by vacapinta to Media & Arts (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

The Best of Everything (1959) is my guess.
posted by janedoe at 1:05 PM on February 9, 2007

This could be any of a number of "three girls in the big city" movies, but the "sexual harassment" theme points to "The Best of Everything." And, come to think of it, the plot of the original novel was tweaked a bit so that the three lead women (Diane Baker, Hope Lange, Suzy Parker) do share an apartment.

It's out on DVD now, and very much worth seeing if only for the breathtaking location shots of 1959 New York -- what a beautiful, beautiful city it was then!
posted by La Cieca at 1:57 PM on February 9, 2007

Of course, thats it! Thanks!
posted by vacapinta at 2:12 PM on February 9, 2007

It's out on DVD now, and very much worth seeing if only for the breathtaking location shots of 1959 New York

Also worth seeing if only to marvel at Suzy Parker's beauty.
posted by buggzzee23 at 2:20 PM on February 9, 2007

« Older Technology-law related jobs in DC other than...   |   Riding the short-bus Newer »