How do I hang up these old drapes?

I bought these old drapes. I have no idea how to hang them. (The answer will not have "clips" in it.)

So I found these old drapes at a garage sale and snapped them up. They are pleated. I'm pretty sure that I need hooks and rings, but I've never had drapes like this before so I don't know what I'm doing. There is no obvious place on the back where the hook went into the fabric. Do I just jam the hook in the bunched up place on the back where the pleat comes together? That's the only place that remotely looks like a hook should go there, but I don't want to do something wrong that will cause stress or damage to the drapes.

Yes, I'm familiar with Google and have used it, to no avail. I looked for something with pictures that would show me exactly what to buy and where it goes, but came up short. If you can find something like that, I would love you forever. If you know what you're talking about and can just explain it very, very well, then I will probably also love you forever.
posted by 23skidoo to Home & Garden (9 answers total)

Photos of the top edge of the curtain would help a lot here.
posted by acorncup at 9:03 AM on February 8, 2007

Do you have a photo of the pleats?
posted by tizzie at 9:03 AM on February 8, 2007

Do I just jam the hook in the bunched up place on the back where the pleat comes together?

Yes, you do. I am uploading some pics I've taken. hold please.
posted by Ambrosia Voyeur at 9:06 AM on February 8, 2007

That's usually what you do. You can get pretty nice curtain hooks that are pretty kind to drapes. You can look at some examples in this Google images search. Really fancy older curtains often have more specialized (and expensive) hardware that includes rings for rods instead of hooks for going in some sort of runner for curtains but the ring + clip solution has been getting a lot of traction, so Googling these will be a little more difficult.
posted by jessamyn at 9:09 AM on February 8, 2007

So the pleated, old school drapes in my bedroom are hung from S(ish) shaped hooks with one very sharp pointy end that you plunge upward into the thickest part of the pleat. I've done this after washing the drapes. You need a cold-pull rod with little sliders the hang the S-hooks into. See the pics for a view of what the slider's leading end looks like.

I hope your drapes aren't as hideous. I hate these.
posted by Ambrosia Voyeur at 9:13 AM on February 8, 2007

You need a cold-pull rod with little sliders the hang the S-hooks into.

Okay, first off, thanks for the pics! Yay you!

Do you perhaps know any other way to hang them besides this cold-pull rod?
posted by 23skidoo at 9:37 AM on February 8, 2007

skidoo, that should've been cord-pull... sorry! And no, I can't imagine another way...
posted by Ambrosia Voyeur at 9:48 AM on February 8, 2007

The cord pull rod is the way they were designed to be used, but I'm pretty sure you could hang them on a plain old drapery rod or inexpensive expanding curtain rod. Just make sure that the circumference of the rod isn't too big for the hook. Also, the ones with decorative ends might look a little odd.
posted by nita at 9:57 AM on February 8, 2007

You can also use a conventional curtain rod with rings made just for your purpose, like these. Also available: wooden rings with a fixed eyelet for the hook.
posted by wryly at 10:54 AM on February 8, 2007

« Older No boys allowed.   |   How do I get white teeth? Newer »