Help me pick carnival music.
February 7, 2007 12:16 PM   Subscribe

Music for an art carnival?

This weekend the NPO that I work for is putting on an art fair/carnival/performance. I'm responsible for putting together a playlist of festive, kid-appropriate carnival-y music. I don't really want to torture people with obnoxious organ music the whole time, so I'd like to find tracks that evoke that happy, fun, festive feeling, but aren't necessarily songs you'd hear at a carnival.

Uhhh. Help?
posted by sonnet to Media & Arts (8 answers total)

Hungry March Band
posted by hermitosis at 12:23 PM on February 7, 2007

Twink would be perfect! Listen to Hoppity Jones (click on the Music tab). It's all played with toy instruments. It would be fantastic carnival music.
posted by iconomy at 12:58 PM on February 7, 2007

Blackpool Roll by Mr. Scruff.
posted by Juliet Banana at 1:09 PM on February 7, 2007

"It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)" - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra

"Chew-Chew-Chew (Chew Your Bubblegum)" - Ella Fitzgerald

"Your Feet's Too Big" - Fats Waller

"The Music Goes 'Round and Around" - Louis Prima

You could always go with popular hits that are kid friendly and cheerful. Some examples:

"Charlie Brown" - The Coasters

"Lollipop" - The Chordettes

"The Lion Sleeps Tonight" - The Tokens

"Name Game" - Shirley Evans

"La Bamba" - Ritchie Valens
posted by LoriFLA at 1:18 PM on February 7, 2007

Danny Elfman would be great for this. (Think Pee-Wee's Big Adventure if you're unfamiliar with his style.)

Side note: Elfman is *great* to listen to in airports. :)
posted by 10ch at 1:48 PM on February 7, 2007

Raymond Scott. He wrote a lot of looney tunes music that's both longer than the selections usually featured in cartoons and really, really good.
You can also go for Brazillian music (Carnival!) like Gilberto Gil.
posted by klangklangston at 2:19 PM on February 7, 2007

Those Plucking Strings is perfect for an occasion like this. It's a silly, English take on American folk songs.
posted by roll truck roll at 7:47 PM on February 7, 2007

They Might Be Giants put out a cool kids' album. I haven't heard it but I assume it's cool since their music for adults is always pretty cool.
posted by Brittanie at 12:28 AM on February 8, 2007

« Older Is using a fork with sushi considered impolite?   |   Now serving number 948392038409301.... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.