How can I identify this hallmark?

I'm trying to identify a platinum hallmark for an elderly friend, but she lives far away so I can't actually see it (it's on a ring) or take it to a jeweller. Maybe the hive mind can identify it, or lead me to a site that can? It's a double-headed eagle with the letters 'P' and 'M' underneath, and she thinks it's European.
posted by dowcrag to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

My google-fu turned up this - do they look like anything here? (even one that you could identify as a close approximation of what you're looking for)
posted by strawberryviagra at 2:09 AM on January 31, 2007

An eagle appears to French and there is an example here of a double stamped one http://www.modernsilver.com/basichallmarks.htm
posted by zeoslap at 6:14 AM on January 31, 2007

PM is the makers mark, and is listed as unidentified here and the double headed eagle might be the Imperial Court Silversmith Imperial Cypher
posted by zeoslap at 6:34 AM on January 31, 2007

A double headed eagle is the Russian imperial eagle.
posted by MonkeySaltedNuts at 8:23 AM on January 31, 2007

Or the Albanian flag, or a Byzantine emblem...
posted by bink at 9:45 AM on January 31, 2007

« Older What's the best Digital Video solution for filming...   |   How to go from PHP to ASP Newer »