Suggestions for Ireland themed movie screening in East Timor.

Suggestions wanted for movies for screening in East Timor...

An Irish friend who works in the development community in Dili, East Timor has the bright idea to run a movie screening.

To quote my friend:
I see a lot of parallels to Ireland post independence. A small poor island on the edges of a continent, long colonial history, dominated by large imperial neighbour, war of independence, civil war, partition, catholic, high birth rate, subsistance agriculture economy and adpoted as a national language one that less than 5% of the populatioin can speak - all applies to both countries.

So I am showing films about Ireland's development that could be relevant to Timor. The program has got a bit heavy and dark, so I am looking for suggestions on other Irish films you cna think of that might be relevant - and if they are about reconcillation and happy things, all the better!

The Irish Film Institute are all behind it, and I am having lunch with the Ambassador here next week when I hope to finalise the list of films. So maybe you three film buffs can help me out? "

I've suggested to him that he also consider truth & reconciliation and some movies a more feel good nature. Without being too preachy...given the volatile situation in East Timor a bit of a laugh might be good medicine right now.

Thanks
posted by johoney to Media & Arts (1 answer total)

Sounds like a great idea.

The best I can do is point you to this database, which might help you find something.

My first thoughts were Angela's Ashes, Into the West and The Boxer.
posted by robcorr at 11:23 PM on January 18, 2007

« Older Freeze HD or Knoppix?   |   What had happened to this woman? Newer »