What's big and red and doesn't seem to eat rocks anymore?

What happened to Phil Agre's Red Rock Eater News Service?

I used to love Agre's random links and disquisitions, but all my google-fu suggests that the last digest was about a year ago.
posted by anotherpanacea to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Why don't you ask Phil? I suspect he just lost interest in writing it. I haven't received an email in a long time. And the last one I got was only after a long time of not getting more.

RRE is another example of a proto-blog. Personal periodic internet writing without the weblog software and terminology.
posted by Nelson at 10:05 AM on January 14, 2007

I think he may have gotten too busy and nowadays what with blogs etc, I'm guessing he may have felt you're left to your own devices.

Loved it.
posted by alicesshoe at 10:53 AM on January 14, 2007

Phil Agre is on my list of the top ten intellectuals of our (digital) age.
posted by zpousman at 11:30 AM on January 14, 2007

I am a student in the Information Studies department at UCLA, which is where Dr. Agre teaches, and I have heard that he is quite ill. The classes he was slated to teach this term were canceled. He is a visionary and I really hope he gets well soon, as I want to take some classes with him. You can contact him at pagre*ucla.edu if you want to ask him about RRE.
posted by HotPatatta at 12:07 PM on January 14, 2007

I wrote him an e-mail. I'll post any replies.
posted by anotherpanacea at 2:52 PM on January 14, 2007

« Older How to have snow in Texas?   |   Did Fox tamper with Idiocracy? Newer »