Windows RSI reminder program

I need a program that reminds me to take breaks

I need a windows program that can be set to tell the user to take a break every x minutes and to remind the user to adjust their posture in front of their computer.
I would prefer if the program pops up a little dialog that disappears in like 10 seconds and that while it is on the screen, I can click through it.
Any other program that serves the general purpose works too.
posted by killa62 to Computers & Internet (15 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Google is your friend.
posted by IndigoRain at 3:19 AM on December 21, 2006

Workrave
posted by distrakted at 3:42 AM on December 21, 2006

Seconding workrave. Haven't been able to find a Mac equivalent, though - any thoughts?
posted by blag at 5:31 AM on December 21, 2006

Via LifeHacker:

Time Out!, a freeware (donationware? I can't tell which on the page) Mac OS X app designed to remind a user to take breaks at different intervals.
posted by plaidrabbit at 6:35 AM on December 21, 2006

Thirding workrave. It can also gives you exercises to do to rest your eyes, stretch and walk around.
posted by hooray at 6:48 AM on December 21, 2006

Fourthing Workrave. Cute and nicely-designed.
posted by desuetude at 7:13 AM on December 21, 2006

Low-tech - get a kitchen timer and set it before you start working.
posted by agregoli at 7:36 AM on December 21, 2006

I think frequently setting a kitchen timer would exacerbate RSI.
posted by dgeiser13 at 9:38 AM on December 21, 2006

A good macintosh equivalent is CoffeeBreak
posted by Deathalicious at 9:43 AM on December 21, 2006

Am I the only person who can see "Windows", twice, in the question?

I just set up a Scheduled Task to bring up the Microsoft Healthy Computing Guide thing (in its standalone format) every half an hour.

It would have taken about five minutes, but figuring out the hideous interface of Scheduled Tasks in Windows made it rather harder.

However, once set up it's distracting enough to be a good reminder, but instantly dismissable if you want, and any Scheduled Task can be disabled or adjusted easily.
posted by AmbroseChapel at 2:59 PM on December 21, 2006

I use the TenPlusTwo widget -- you can set the ten and two to whatever you want. Just have to have the Yahoo Widgets Engine installed.
posted by loiseau at 5:28 PM on December 21, 2006

AmbroseChapel writes 'Am I the only person who can see "Windows", twice, in the question?'

Think that was my fault - thanks for the recommendations, sorry to thread-jack.
posted by blag at 8:16 AM on December 22, 2006

I have no idea what RSI even is. A kitchen timer helps me immensely in not only taking breaks from the computer, but also breaks from working on art projects and not spending back-breaking amounts of time cleaning the house, etc. It's a very good low-tech solution for taking breaks and not working so hard.
posted by agregoli at 8:49 AM on December 22, 2006

RSI = Repetitive Stress Injury

One example would be carpal tunnel syndrome.
posted by dgeiser13 at 9:14 PM on December 22, 2006

Use RSIGuard - it's amazing! At least, I haven't found any other prog that tells you to take breaks based on the amt of work you do, rather than just random times (eg every 20 minutes) -- it is also highly configurable and collects statistics on your mouse/keyboard use which is very illuminating.
posted by 8k at 12:11 PM on March 3, 2007

« Older Pray for Mojo   |   Casual Christmas side dishes? Newer »