Corner Shelf?
November 9, 2006 9:42 AM   Subscribe

I'm looking for a shelf (from 3 - 5 feet high) that neatly fills a corner, i.e. it turns at a 90 degree angle. A "Corner Shelf." Either one piece or something in two-peices that would go together without interrupting the flow too much. Anyone know of such a shelf set? Hopefully from a national brand available in the S.F. Bay Area?

I'm putting together a tatami / library / altar room and want to continue the flow of books, but in the corner have a little Buddha statue and meditation area that integrates into that and yet holds the space on its own. Does that make any sense? Can IKEA save me? I haven't found anything like what I'm talking about...
posted by wavejumper to Home & Garden (11 answers total)
Go to and type "corner" in the search window. There are all sorts of possibilities.
posted by amro at 9:52 AM on November 9, 2006

What amro said. Repeat same search at
posted by Carnage Asada at 9:59 AM on November 9, 2006

Container Store has a few options also.
posted by Cog at 10:20 AM on November 9, 2006

While I've now direct counsel to offer, you might consider asking this of your local Freecycle community. You'd be suprised what folks are looking to lose!
posted by EatTheWeek at 11:19 AM on November 9, 2006

Response by poster: I'm really looking for something wood and solid that would blend with my other bookcases. But thanks for the ideas so far, I guess Target has some corner TV cabinets that would almost work.
posted by wavejumper at 11:55 AM on November 9, 2006

Is there an Ikea near you? The Billy series has some nice ones that fit in a corner. I have Billy bookshelves, including one for the corner, and I absolutely love them. They're very easy to assemble and pretty sturdy. And not out of this world expensive.
posted by INTPLibrarian at 2:02 PM on November 9, 2006

INTPLibrarian: "Is there an Ikea near you?"

posted by koeselitz at 2:59 PM on November 9, 2006

I looked for the Skandia corner shelving I remembered, on the Container Store site, just now, but didn't see it. You might go looking for it anyway, on that site and elsewhere. It's modular, you can make it work in several heights, and it's solid wood (I love my set).

I wonder if they've discontinued the special corner-join units, though; maybe you could find some used.
posted by amtho at 3:02 PM on November 9, 2006

And, in answer to your little question:

wavejumper: "Can IKEA save me?"

I don't think so, at least looking at their online catalog. Their only apparent corner shelf combination that I can find, which is the one INTPLibrarian mentioned, doesn't seem to be available in smaller parts. (I assume from your question that you're looking for a small, single shelf, not a combo that takes up any wall space.)
posted by koeselitz at 3:10 PM on November 9, 2006

But, knowing (and loving) Ikea, it's probably best to go in, as they can tell you what's available, and as lots of things are available modular. I'd try them. It's fun, too.
posted by koeselitz at 3:12 PM on November 9, 2006

Sorry I'm late - try Home Decorators. It is mail order, but they do have literally page after page of corner options in different styles at varying prices. Good luck!
posted by FuzzyVerde at 7:58 AM on November 10, 2006

« Older Inexpensive teleconference recording.   |   If broccoli wasn't bred as a dye source, what was? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.